Beginner's question...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't pay *too much* attention to the hardiness zone and agree with Pat that it is often worth the fun of experimenting with things (assuming it wasn't too expensive and you won't be out much money if you fail). With a little babying or starting/bringing indoors, you can often get around the zone recommendations.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
Can someone in zone 8 typically get away with zone 9 plants, as long as they're covered on freezing nights?
"Maybe". It depends on the plant. And also on whose assessment of hardiness of the plant you're listening to. It is worth trying for nonwoody plants.

Is there a term that means a plant can't freeze? Can't take frost?
The british term would be 'tender' but that is not so commonly used here and now.

It's really more complicated than just can/can't take a frost, because it depends *how long for*. A reasonable number of plants will have some sense of humor (if sometimes only slight) about having their top growth froze, but if their roots or growing points freeze then show's over. Etc.

It's not nearly as simple or exact a science as the whole 'numbered zones' concept might make it seem ;)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm in Zone 7... but so is Massachuttes!! LOL

Anyways... I do have some Zone 8 plants and they do great here since I treat them like they expect to be treated in Zone 8. I'm really boarder line with our Zone, so I just learned what I needed to learn and I do everything I can to care for each plant according to its specific needs. That's all you need to worry about!

(I keep some in pots just so I can bring them in for winter and not have to fuss over them)