Bell Peppers Brown Ends??

myfirstgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
9250_peppers.jpg

These are two bell peppers that I recently picked from two separate plants. The pepper on the left had some liquid come out of the bottom when I squeezed it. When opened, which I was hesitant to do, there were no insects inside. What is wrong with them? Have you experienced this before? What am I doing or not doing? Thanks!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've had this happen to a few of my jalapenos, but just off of one plant.
My guess is it's a form of "blossom end rot", don't know a cure or if that is actually what it is. I didn't do anything to mine and they are now putting out "picture perfect" peppers.
I cut the ends off the ones that did this and used the rest in salsa.

THANX RICH

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You might want to update your forum profile info to include your location including growing zone and city/state as it can help in some cases.

Most likely blossom end rot, a calcium deficiency in the plant but in many areas of the US right now the issue isn't a lack of calcium in the soil, rather drought that keeps it from getting into the plant. Sometimes only the first few peppers will exhibit this and the rest are ok but that could be because whenever I see it I put down more calcium and water more often... but overwatering can cause it too.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yep, looks like BER. I had it on my paste tomatoes and now on my watermelon this year. I put some ground oyster shells down and made sure it got water.

myfirstgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Gardening and my garden would not be the same without the you guys.

I live in Chico, California, Zone 9 gardening. These come from container plants, so the plant may have drained all the calcium out. Maybe I should add more?? Like you said, maybe it is just the first, because all the others look fine. They are extremely miniature though, which I equate to them being in containers.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could also b sun scald. I have same problem. Hot sun, no water, it's aborting flesh to save seed.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
^ Maybe, a couple details should be considered.

1) Was it upside down on the plant? If it's sun scald that tends to happen on the portion pointed upwards.

2) Was it covered by leaves? Sun scald doesn't happen in the shade, though in EXTEMELY hot weather (well over 100F) I suppose the whole pepper could cook and then rot without direct sunlight.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
myfirstgarden said:
Thanks for the replies. Gardening and my garden would not be the same without the you guys.

I live in Chico, California, Zone 9 gardening. These come from container plants, so the plant may have drained all the calcium out. Maybe I should add more?? Like you said, maybe it is just the first, because all the others look fine. They are extremely miniature though, which I equate to them being in containers.
What sized container and how big is the plant? Pictures might help. How often and how much water are you giving them? What's your seasonal rainfall rate, under average, average, or above average? If under average I tend to think it's watering too little for the temperatures that is causing insufficient calcium uptake.

Is this virgin soil or have you grown in it previously and now it'd being reused?

Do you overwater to the point that it always comes out the bottom of the pot?

Generally it takes a while to deplete typical soil of calcium, a reason why it's low if there's a reasonable quantity of soil. Have you been fertilizing and if so, with what? Do you mean small plant or small fruit or both? What are you comparing against, I grow a bell strain that is nowhere near as big as the strain they sell at local grocery stores but it has more taste.

Given a good sized container, say 5 gallon or more you should't be seeing significant stunting of plant growth yet - they may eventually not be as big as if in a larger container or the ground and take longer to get to their final size but this may be more due to moisture fluctuations and fertilizer vs soil nutrient level issues. If you have not put any type of fertilizer on them then you might do that, not just calcium but at least something with NPK in it whether synthetic or organic, and a little magnesium wouldn't hurt either.

These are not to address the blossom end rot, just the small size.

myfirstgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I REALLY appreciate your replies. Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town.

Dave2000 said:
^ Maybe, a couple details should be considered.

1) Was it upside down on the plant? If it's sun scald that tends to happen on the portion pointed upwards.

2) Was it covered by leaves? Sun scald doesn't happen in the shade, though in EXTEMELY hot weather (well over 100F) I suppose the whole pepper could cook and then rot without direct sunlight.
Dave2000, the pepper on the left was pointing upside down. The other hanging normally. So I am guessing the left pepper suffered from sun scald and the other from root end root. Both due to lack of water, which is my fault :( and I can easily treat.:(

Latest posts