Bell peppers lagging

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have only 1 bell pepper and it hasn't even started flowering yet. But I live in the bay area where it's cool so I probably shouldn't even had planted it. We'll see what happens. :/

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am always trying to hedge my bets. Not only do I have what for me are easy-to-grow Italian sweets, along with the bells, but I like to try other sweet peppers.

First of all, and if I understand correctly, the peppers with the Caribbean names are closely related to the Italians. Aruba was a real nice one that I had a few times - it's lime green!

I also grew Gypsy and it produced early and well. Color may have been responsible for why these 2 didn't go over with DW, however. I picked Gypsy while it was still pale green and Aruba is naturally that color.

The Sweet Bananas that I grew could make it to yellow but DW still didn't show any enthusiasm. You know, color is important for our food choices and, I suppose it may also carry flavor but it's hard to account for preferences . . .

Anyway, the Fushimi sweet pepper I grew last year was a hit with DW. It certainly doesn't look like a sweet pepper. In fact, Fushimi looks like it's lethally hot! 'Tain't so. The little skinny guys couldn't be more sweet and, they've got lots of flavor wrapped up those dark green skins.

The plant doesn't have to get big to begin to produce the little peppers. I'd hate to try stuffing them but if you use diced sweet peppers for recipes, a thin-skinned little guy may be just what you are looking for instead of a big, blocky bell.

Steve

Latest posts