Berries and grapes

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've tried growing blue berries, but my soil is not acidic enough... They died. :( Would blackberries or raspberries do better? What conditions do they like. What about grapes?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you tried supplementing your soil for the blueberries?

I've found blackberries downright foolproof. They like poor soil. Raspberries aren't too difficult either. I've never started grapes, just inherited old established vines. Other than the necessary pruning, they don't seem to be too picky either.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are several things that will help add acid if you wanna give it a try again. Simply mix in used coffee grounds into the soil helps. You can also by a highly acidic fertilizer from a shelf. I recommend some an organic acidic fertilizer that would be suggested to use for Holly Bushes.

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I used peat moss and some pine bark mixed in real well where I planted the blue berries - so I think I will just try something different all together. Blackberries and grapes both look promising, so I'll be ordering tomorrow or Saturday! I'm excited!!
Thanks y'all!

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have wild grapes taking over my whole property :O They've already murdered some of the trees on the west fenceline, and they're starting to take on my actual fences. Yikes!

Blackberries are totally foolproof. My blackberries grew like 4 feet, seriously... in one season and produced some berries... it was disturbing ..

Latest posts