Best All-Around BBQ Grill/Smoker Combo?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oooo, a Bandera...another cooker on my wishlist! I have two more drums waiting to be converted, but they are both closed top and I don't have lids. Yours is the perfect example of the Webber lid drum I mentioned earlier. I see thin blue and a meat thermometer. Is that an OTS I see on the left? I'll bet the lid on the UDS came from that Webber ;)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anybody sell UDS? Or something similar to it? I don't have the time or the tools to build a proper one.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of good information here! Thanks, everyone. One of the sites I looked at about Webber kettles had a baffle you could buy that fit at one side, where you would put your charcoal/wood. It implied that you could smoke stuff pretty well with that--just not a whole lot of room to smoke a lot of meat. Has anyone used something like that?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lucky, there is a baffle you can buy for the Webbers, but you still face the problem of uneven heating. Even a cheap Brinkman will perform better. Jared, I have seen a few people selling UDS cookers, but the price is out there. They are really easy to build. I will help you step by step. The only tools you need are a drill, a hand grinder, and a sander. I could build you one for the cost of the materials, but the cost of shipping would kill it. The whole point of the UDS is cost efficiency; more bang for the buck. You can build one in a weekend, heck one day if the liner isn't a bastige.

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had a Weber smoker/grill but gor a Traeger a year and a half ago. Will not go back! Maybe it's because I work. Maybe because my hubbie is not so great with complicated instructions. We use the Traeger constantly for meats, veggies and other. Great for jerky/drying as it will maintain a low slow temp for a long long time.

Other than brisket, my favorite is smoked bluefish with mesquite.