Best chicken breeds for backyard flocks

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The author of the magazine article says, ". . . the most productive egg layers are hybrids, including . . . Indian River."

I have never had Delawares but understand that "Indian River" is just another name for the breed. And, altho' they were developed from crossing (weren't they all?), Delawares breed true to type and there's no special parent lines to produce them.

Saying that, "If youre in a hurry to get fresh eggs on your table, consider . . . Indian Rivers . . ." Someone with more knowledge than I have of the breed may want to comment but this breed was commonly raised for meat prior to the advent of the Cornish Crosses. I wouldn't expect them to develop quickly as egg-layers.

I'll agree with HunkieDorie, "way too subjective" . . . but, of course, a fun topic :). And, I think the point that the same breed may lay different color eggs depending on their origin, is true. I've had Australorps a couple of times in the past. The ones I have currently lay far darker eggs than any of those. They also don't lay as well. The production of my Barred Rock, on the other hand, surprises me! I've had them before, also.

However, the noisiest chicken I've ever had was a Barred Rock, Pringlays. I'm sure the neighbors appreciate that I have nothing to compare with her these days ;).

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The noisiest I've had by far was an old english banty hen. She weighed 19 ozs and could sound like a whole zoo of animals all by herself.

Pringlays

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
The author of the magazine article says, ". . . the most productive egg layers are hybrids, including . . . Indian River."

I have never had Delawares but understand that "Indian River" is just another name for the breed. And, altho' they were developed from crossing (weren't they all?), Delawares breed true to type and there's no special parent lines to produce them.

Saying that, "If youre in a hurry to get fresh eggs on your table, consider . . . Indian Rivers . . ." Someone with more knowledge than I have of the breed may want to comment but this breed was commonly raised for meat prior to the advent of the Cornish Crosses. I wouldn't expect them to develop quickly as egg-layers.

I'll agree with HunkieDorie, "way too subjective" . . . but, of course, a fun topic :). And, I think the point that the same breed may lay different color eggs depending on their origin, is true. I've had Australorps a couple of times in the past. The ones I have currently lay far darker eggs than any of those. They also don't lay as well. The production of my Barred Rock, on the other hand, surprises me! I've had them before, also.

However, the noisiest chicken I've ever had was a Barred Rock, Pringlays. I'm sure the neighbors appreciate that I have nothing to compare with her these days ;).

Steve
Well like I said in the first sentance all chickens are different lol

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like the bantams... but I'm a person with kids... and neighboring kids... and my silkies are very calm. They are not bothered and my neighbors are not bothered so I get to free range them without concern for being bothersome.

There eggs (when not broody) can be as many as 5 a week per hen, I get to use them to hatch me more chickens so I don't have to invest in an incubator, and compared to other bantams... silkies eggs are about medium size, and not super tiny. So 2 for breakfast work for me with some toast and turkey bacon. :D

AND they are so cute I want MORE!!!!!!!!!

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have 3 red sex link hens that I got last year from TSC in May.I started getting eggs in September.The hens laid all winter despite being in a rather dark and uninsulated metal shed.There were a few days where I only got 2 eggs,but that was on warmer days,so it could just be the hen not cold/light related. I would love to get a variety,but given how well my hens did I will just get more red sex links.

I did have 3 leghorns,but they were mean to the reds so I sold them.

My reds are average on the noise.No worse IMO than all the dogs let outside to howl/bark in neighboring yard! I was able to get one hen on video being very vocal before/after laying an egg.She no longer does that,and I actually miss it.It was so funny.