Best chicken breeds for backyard flocks

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I think that it is way too subjective for real breed picking. But since you did bring up the post . . . has anyone ever raised speckle sussex. I have been looking at them for over a year and the local feed store has chicks available in May.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think the best breeds is a mixture, for me at least. I love having eggs of different colors, shapes and sizes in my basket!

DSCN0795.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have speckled sussexes. I like them quite alot, they are my main breed - very sensible and levelheaded, sort of the chicken version of a quarter horse (horse people will know what I mean <g>). They lay reasonably well and are reasonable for meat as dual-purpose breeds go. Also purty. However all these things will vary among lines, it is not really very safe to generalize about most breeds as there is so much variation. Depends where you get them from. (For which reason I am also highly skeptical of any articles or lists that purport to tell you the best chickens for the home flock... ;))

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Potterwatch,
That picture of the bucket of eggs looks so pretty. All those nice colors. If that picture doesnt convince people to raise chickens i don't know what will.
I want so much to raise a few hens along with the pheasants. I'm trying to find a not so noisy breed. Does anyone have the easter egg layer i believe their called aracauna, their suppose to be quiet.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greenthumb - I have 2 ameracaunas/EE's along with 2 wyndottes, and a Rhode Island Red. They are all fairly quiet. The only time they make noise is when they do the "egg song". But they don't do this everytime one of them lays. I figured that since they do this usually in the late mornings, by then everyone is awake! I live in the city surrounded by 7 neighbors and no one has complained yet. They all seem to like the fact that we have chickens.

Mary

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love the mixed eggs as well. I have 1 EE, 2 buckeyes and 5 comets and 1 Khaki Campbell duck. They all get along. I am getting 5 new EE chicks but I also adding to my collection with the sussexes.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Potterwatch,
That picture of the bucket of eggs looks so pretty. All those nice colors. If that picture doesnt convince people to raise chickens i don't know what will.
I want so much to raise a few hens along with the pheasants. I'm trying to find a not so noisy breed. Does anyone have the easter egg layer i believe their called aracauna, their suppose to be quiet.
easter eggers are not araucanas, and my EE's are not at all quiet :) They're the loudest we've had thus far during egg laying time.

Pringlays

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
IMO I think basically every chicken is different.I have 2 golden phoinexes one is always quiet and calm while the other is finicky and loud.The breeds I have raised that I find very quiet are barred rocks,black austrolorps,silkies and usually any large fowl breed.