Best Citrus Tree For Northern/ Container

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Update

Good news and bad news. The blood oranges have started showing up at mrs. greens and they do have the buck label. Problem is I think these really ARE blood oranges. they have red blushes on their skins. There may be some mangoes in there but I can't really tell.

That being said, there are a few odd citruses there in any case. Buck also has red cara cara's this year.

There are also some kumquat/kumquat hybrids but that is a little confusing. the signs said kumquats and kumquat lemons but the fruits are orangequats (recognizable with their elongated shapes) and something yellow I can't identify. (could those be the kumquat lemons/ or mislabeled limequats?)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to bring in when temperature going below 45. My goal is to keep alive through winter, then outside late spring. This is my 3rd winter, my Meyer lemon is really giving me problems, don't know if it will make it to spring. My lime and calomondin give me no trouble at all. I envy people who can have a meyer outside in the ground, if you never tasted a meyer lemon you need to. more and more supermarkets are carring them

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you see any signs of bud swelling in the leaf nodes? I'm wondering if the stress from over watering caused the old leaves to abscise. The tree may be able to generate new growth from energy stored in the roots.
I hope it recovers for you.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I've had meyer lemons drop their leaves even when I watered them once a week. I finally pulled it out of it's pot and it was pretty much root bound. The water was just running around the pot and the roots at the top were taking up too much water on the day that I watered it. I pulled it out and broke up the root ass and trimmed the roots, then I added fresh soil and repotted. It looks good now. I've learned that watering is the key to getting those yellow leaves and losing them. Every 2 years I clean up and re pot. But most importantly, I don't let it dry out completely and am on a better fertilizing schedule.

If it's too much effort for you to try to bring it back, I'd get another one. I have no qualms about saying I tried and there's more where that came from! :D In fact, my meyer that is in the ground is only about 2 ft tall at 5 yrs. old. I think the main header branch was cut off. I'm thinking of replacing it but hoping my husband doesn't notice it. :D I hear grumbling every time I do something like this. :p

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary I hear you, normally I have no problem replacing a plant not doing well. But I have become attached to this tree. kind of funny. We made it though 2 winters hoping for 3rd. I repotted, trimmed roots, have grow light on it. Dont see any swelling buds but meyers in winter grow very very slow, so still hoping.

Latest posts