best lawn tractor???

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
A real tractor will not lose value much. In fact, they can appreciate in value.

Yard machines, huge loss once you take possession-30-70%.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are new tractors like new cars, drive off lot lose big money ? I will never buy another new car after seeing loss. i will only buy a 1 to 2 year old car. What about a used tractor in new like condition
I will probably only buy new cars when the new models come out. Huge rebates to move last year’s models. Last time we bought a new car, bought a $28,000 for $17,000. Used models were being priced at $21-22,000 with 20,000 miles.

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Most all lawn tractors that are sold at big box stores are all made by MTD. Look a the dealers. You may want to look into a Steiner, they have tons of power, lots of attachments, hydraulic steering and 4 wheel drive. You can get 3 different engines in them,
A Kubota 25 hp liquid-cooled diesel, a Kubota 32 hp liquid-cooled gasoline, or a 37 hp Vanguard EFI air-cooled gasoline engine.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Found an authorized Husq dealer pretty close to where I'm moving and went in and chatted with a guy there. Given other expenses right now I just don't want to go over $3k, so I put my name down on a YT48DXLS they have coming in in a few weeks

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sprig, you are aware that the YT48DXLS has a K-46 transaxle right??? The garden tractor I mentioned has a K-66 transaxle which is much heavier duty & better suited for for what you said about hauling gravel & snow removal.

I fully understand that you said about you needed to stay under $3K, however if you blow out the transaxle by asking it to do something more than it is capable of, you will be spending almost that much to repair or replace it in a short period of time. I can tell you from personal experience that a new transaxle in a crate runs about $1K-$1.5K & the installation is additional.

Good luck regardless of your final decision.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sprig, you are aware that the YT48DXLS has a K-46 transaxle right??? The garden tractor I mentioned has a K-66 transaxle which is much heavier duty & better suited for for what you said about hauling gravel & snow removal.

I fully understand that you said about you needed to stay under $3K, however if you blow out the transaxle by asking it to do something more than it is capable of, you will be spending almost that much to repair or replace it in a short period of time. I can tell you from personal experience that a new transaxle in a crate runs about $1K-$1.5K & the installation is additional.

Good luck regardless of your final decision.
Good point. I'll check into that

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Years ago we bought a Craftsman Lawn tractor paid $200 ~ runs well ~ bought another one sold under the name briggs & Stratton ~ I replaced the starter last year in the Craftsman ~ girls use to race them in the outback fenced ```

Use the Craftsman still ~ with a trailer mucking & hauling dirt and lumber ~ not sure what it cost new ( the other one is still good , if I brought it out and brushed it's teeth ~ But ~ they do seem to last 24 HP Briggs engine ~ but ``` I think they're pretty good ~ might have done another repair once ```
There a few good ones ~ you can spend as much as you want ~ if you lube them well ~ listen when they talk to you ~ she be good ~ buying an American made is a smart idea ```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
If my old John Deere breaks down again -I will scream.
If we replace rather than repair, what is the best garden tractor? We use it for cutting the lawn, collecting the clippings, and hauling firewood. ONE THAT WON'T CONSTANTLY BREAK DOWN!!!!

What type of break downs are you having ~ be interested to know that ```

Latest posts