Best methods for keeping squirrels & birds off my tomatoes?

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is the first year I have (seriously) done a garden. I have a decent sized grape tomato plant in a pretty ridiculous looking, non-protective cage (will post pics when I can because I'm still a newbie).

Anyway, I had my suspicions not too long ago about squirrels and birds attacking my beautiful tomato plant. The problem with both is that our neighbors on both sides have bird feeders and baths, even with the outrageous heat, humidity, and lack of rain. Neither have gardens, though. And the house/yard on the other side is abandoned and has birds living in it and a jungle forest for a backyard that the animals love (including rabbits but they have not been a problem this year--thank you fence!).

I saw a sneaky little squirrel snacking on one of my tomatoes on the fence along the driveway the neighbor and I share. Ever since then, I find tomatoes (green and pink/light red, I pick them at the slightest hint of color now) with pecks on them on the vine and on the ground, and some half/partially eaten tomatoes. I thought it was mostly birds because there are A TON of them but recently I saw a rather sneaky squirrel sneaking around and watched him from the window climb over my garden fence and start up the tomato cage sniffing tomatoes! I banged loudly on the window to scare him off.

From what I can find online, some say buying deer repellent/coyote urine helps keep the squirrels away, or human urine (not sure on that one). I don't know about netting or anything for the birds. I don't have any cayenne pepper to burn the nose of the squirrels, and I certainly can't shoot them (sadly as I live in the city). I do have some blood meal from a while back, but I read it can cause lots of foliage on plants and my soil seems ok with my plants growing right now (don't want to ruin a good thing!). Will it hurt/help? What about crushed up eggshells and blood meal? What about urine, blood meal, and eggshells?

Please give me some recommendations for the squirrels and the birds! I may be able to get a fake snake or owl or string up some old CDs (I have read mixed reviews). I live in zone 6a (if it helps), are there any tips for me?

I appreciate it, thanks!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Jennifer! :frow
I don't have much experience in this area, but you could sprinkle the blood meal over your plants, as opposed to putting it in the soil (where it's repellent value would be nil ). Netting would work for birds, cayenne would be good for the squirrels (birds can't taste it ).
You can use a section of hose to mimic a snake, and move it around the garden daily.
As for the urine, I've heard that, at least as a deer repellent, it has to be from a male.
Animals can sure be frustrating in the garden, hopefully someone with success in this area can jump in here and help you!
I wish you well! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is bird netting. And, I bet it would work for awhile with the squirrel.

I had what was good solution to sparrows in a seedbed - from which, I grew transplants for the garden.

My solution was a toy cat. I moved it twice a day, often, and always once a day. I found unusual places to set it - inside an overturned box, under rhubarb leaves, that sort of thing. It was always a little difficult to see but not quite hidden.

I think it would work with the squirrel also but he is a little smarter than the sparrows. I've read something from a biologist about a squirrel being able to go to sleep one night and awaken the next morning with a whole new set of skills! Of course, this isn't quite true but they seem quite clever, don't they?

Steve

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Get a real cat, feed her in the garden and keep fresh water for her out there. It works for me. About once per hour, she will go out there to snack. :lol:

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sunsaver, sadly I cannot get a real cat or I would look into it!! Plus the neighbors behind us have three big dogs and they might like the taste of cat. :lol:

For living in the city I have seen extremely skinny coyotes in nearby areas about .5-1.5 miles away from where I live, not sure if I used the coyote urine they would infiltrate my backyard ...

Any good bird netting people can recommend or is it standard? I might not be able to get it due to not having much money if it is on the pricey side.

I don't know if it's bone meal or blood meal that we have :hu I'll have to check but would either help, possibly?

I like the idea of possibly getting a toy cat and an owl and moving them around. I go outside a few times per day so it would be nothing to move it around.

Thanks for the tips!

Latest posts