Best ordering resource for climbing roses?

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Heirloom roses here in Oregon is amazing. Bred on its own root stock so if it dies back you still have teh rose you bought. They have a contract with David Austin and they breed their own roses as well.

I will say this: Sometimes their shipping is bad. They may run out of a rose and tell you only AFTER you have been waiting for it to arive. This being said, it is not the norm, but has happened. The quality of the roses is impeccable. They come in little 4" pots and in 2 years are very large, desease resistant and quite hardy. they have an incredible selection and great tips for growing.

http://www.heirloomroses.com

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
AllyRodrigues said:
Thanks so much for the ideas and suggestions. The reason for ordering is that I haven't found any climbing roses at the nurseries I've been to! None of them are very close to our town and it becomes quite a drive to find out that they don't have anything..I do, however, sit in front of a computer all day and have time to shop online!
nurseries I suggest are a bit of a drive for you, but I like their standards... and even their veggies are amazingly priced come spring!

Fairview Gardens - Holly Springs Rd, Cary - Some things are very pricy but the guarentees are amazing, they always carry tons of roses! http://www.fairviewgardencenter.com/

Garden Hut - Old Honeycutt Rd, Fuquay Varina - Smaller, but carry lots of roses and shrubs. There veggies they start in their greenhouse are always AWESOMELY priced. I have packs of 6 plants for about $2. http://www.nelsasgardenhut.com/index.asp?pgid=1

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem, good to know about The Garden Hut. I've checked them out online several times! I will email them to see what they have!

Thanks everyone!

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Update:

I was in Lowe's this weekend with my husband and they had just gotten in the motherload of roses!

I bought 7, 5 of which were climbing. Of those, two were Don Juan, 2 were ***something Blaze?, and one was a yellow type. $5 each!

I'm so excited..I hope the price isn't indicative of the quality, but they were quite healthy, as far as i could tell! I stood out in the rain planting them and still more Spring bulbs on Saturday. I still have tons of bulbs to put in and am running out of time! I may have been a little overzealous!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Many years ago, I bought 2 Don Juans at a big box store. When I bought them they didn't look like anything special, but they took off growing and were amazing! They grew like crazy and bloomed like crazy, too! From what I read before I bought them, the Don Juans are very vigorous, so there's a good chance you will probably end up with gorgeous red blooms and nice, green, healthy plants once they get established. I planted mine in the late winter, and by late summer my entire fence was covered in vines and flowers. Not too shabby for a cheap, big box rose!

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Many years ago, I bought 2 Don Juans at a big box store. When I bought them they didn't look like anything special, but they took off growing and were amazing! They grew like crazy and bloomed like crazy, too! From what I read before I bought them, the Don Juans are very vigorous, so there's a good chance you will probably end up with gorgeous red blooms and nice, green, healthy plants once they get established. I planted mine in the late winter, and by late summer my entire fence was covered in vines and flowers. Not too shabby for a cheap, big box rose!
That makes me happy to hear!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I order from Jackson Perkins as well as buy local. Sometimes local doesn't give you much choice. Home Depot this year had practically nothing at our store here in the high desert. I love New Dawn also. One of my favorites is the Ceceil Brunner cliber. It just grows and grows. The blossoms are small but there are a lot of them and they smell heavnly. Lots of luck.

Latest posts