Best ordering resource for climbing roses?

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was looking through a catalog from Burgess, but after reading reviews of them I think I'll stay away!

I have a rose garden, though, with some empty space that is backed by a wall. I'd like to try some climbing roses there. Has anyone had any luck with ordering these (or other started plants) any having them shipped?

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Also, my husband just built a garden arbor and I'm thinking of different things that might climb and stay pretty all year here in zone 7..Climbing roses were considered there, too, but can anyone suggest other things that may "fill in" relatively quickly and stay through the winter?

I'm probably pushing it there....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have Don Jaun climbing roses and they are HEAVENLY! My husband got them for me for Valentine's 2 years ago. ( I have a rule, don't bring me flowers that will die... bring me flowers that will produce in our garden for life so I know you're love won't die on my either!)

I think they are amazing! Very resilient to a lot of things, and they grow quite a lot each year. Can't remember where we got it, but I'm thinking of taking some cuttings to try to root them. I'll let you know if they take.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
NOT Burgess. I live near Roseland in Massachusetts. THey have great plants. With roses you
get what you pay for. I would buy local if you can-not a big box store. Jackson and Perkins was always a good source.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah, if you can't find them already started from a decent garden center, Jackson Perkins is the only place i would suggest ordering from!

a nice thornless rose if you are looking for a decent climber is Zephrine Drouin. i have one beside my chicken coop run and the birds leave it alone most of the time. it has been there now for 2 seasons and one of the branches has finally made it to the top of the 8ft tall run. they smell very sweet too!

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Jackson & Perkins. They have good customer service. One year none of the roses they sent made it, and they replaced them all.

I like the New Dawn climbing rose.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A heads up on Jackson & Perkins: They have many unhappy customers from 2011 . Apparently J&P went bankrupt and the business and name went to new owners who don't maintain the same standards as the original.

Ally, is there a particular reason you want to mail order instead of shopping at a nursery? Generally nurseries carry a good selection and you can look at the actual product. That would be my first choice, and if there's a problem they will usually guarantee the plant for a certain time.

As a brand name, I know WEEKS ROSES are high quality. I don't know if they mail order.

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the ideas and suggestions. The reason for ordering is that I haven't found any climbing roses at the nurseries I've been to! None of them are very close to our town and it becomes quite a drive to find out that they don't have anything..I do, however, sit in front of a computer all day and have time to shop online!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ally..are the nurseries perhaps getting some more later on? When I was looking for raspberries I would call the nurseries and check to see what they had. I wasn't about to be driving all over for nothing! I would call as soon as they opened and they were always very helpful.

Mary

Latest posts