Best place to get sunflower seeds?

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My DS loved planting his sunflower bed last year and would like to do it again, but wants more of a variety. Is there any really great place to get seeds from?

Thanks for the help. :)

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to this year :fl - I read that if you get fresh wild birdseed and plant the seeds from that, you will grow great seed-producing sunflowers. I want to grow as much seed to feed the birds with as possible, but I also want some sunflower varieties just to be pretty in my garden. :rainbow-sun I'm currently trying to find the Mexican Sunflower for the flower garden, so I'm interested in what others have had success with also. :caf

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I walked in to Lowes the other day and noticed an entire two rows of beautiful sunflower seeds to grow of all colors and varieties

I already have a load of them or I would have bought them all!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's so much beautiful variety of sunflowers out there. I saw some nice mixes in the Park's catalog, probably any catalog would do, or even Walmart, Lowe's, etc have some nice ones. I love Moulin Rouge or any of the reds, and I had some gorgeous lemony-yellow ones last year with very dark, large centers. If you want them for bouquets, plant a lot, because I guarantee you'll not be able to get your fill of them! ;) They are one of my very favorite cutting flowers. They are so easy to grow and last a long time in a vase too.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The birds plant a bunch of sunflowers around my place. It always brings a smile to my face, to see where they show up... These are not the huge heads you would get from the mammoth seeds. But, they do have seeds and the birds and squirrels enjoy them. Think spring!!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
2ndtimearound, :welcome
I finally saw wild birdseed at the right price and bought a couple of small bags to plant for my chickens. It wouldn't be fair to grow it for the wild birds on my property, because my 2 dogs and 3 cats would just eat 'em!!

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ducks4you, I know what you mean - I plant them for the wild birds and for the chickens! :weee One of my gardening goals is to grow enough feed for the wild birds in the winter, squirrels in the winter and chickens and pet crow all year round. I would love to be able to grow enough to feed all the animals so that I don't ever have to buy feed again! :clap So do you get millet grass growing from the birdseed you plant? I want to find a good place to buy feed corn seeds to plant and I want to grow lots of millet, because not only do the birds eat it, I read on BYC that the chickens can eat it also. :watering

Also, is it only the mammoth sunflowers that make lots of seeds? I know I have to compete with the birds to harvest any sunflower seeds at all! :hit

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Haven't planted it, yet, but millet are those little round beige seeds. If you have seen parakeet feed, I think it has millet in it, or at least the seeds look like millet. On BYC the chicken people talk about "sprays" of millet for parakeets, so I believe they are the same.
I'm gonna need to decide on the best place to grow these seeds for my birds. Right now I'm leaning towards north of where they new coop is going to be.

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ducks4you, sounds pretty good - I think the millet sprays are a little smaller version of millet grass (from BYC), but basically the same. North of the coop sounds good, as long as it will still get enough sun. :coolsun I have an empty lot northeast of the coop that I might just sow the millet over the whole lot and see what results I get...:fl

2ndtimearound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
But as for sunflowers - I'm trying to grow as many different kinds as possible, to see what works the best in my zone. :fl Last year I planted mammoth and giant, but only ended up with two or three plants, only one of which grew nice and tall. :/

I'm not that far from Kansas, where it only takes a thought or two to grow them like crazy!! :ep

Latest posts