Best Soil Mixing for potted plants and veggie plots

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perlite and vermiculite are rock material. They are very light when dry, hold lots of water but don't become easily compacted.

Dogs and other animals may dig through compost containing things that they would eat.

Steve

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not a compost expert Jonrek, but I have always heard that you should not put meat or fat products into a compost pile. You can use vegetable parings, leaves, garden debris, straw, things like that. Hope that helps. There are many others here who can give you more advice. Welcome to TEG! :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Meat or fat products can draw animals that you might not want around, like dogs, coyotes, raccoons, foxes, skunks, bobcats, bears, etc. I don’t know what you might attract in Thailand. They can dig into your compost and make a mess, plus they are then hunting on your property. That can lead to other destruction. They can also go rancid and stink. Meat can draw flies which lay eggs that turn into maggots. Those are the reasons I know of that you might not want to put meat or fat in your compost.

I do sometimes put meat or fat in, especially when I am just starting the pile. I bury it at the bottom and have none of those problems. I also have a screen I can throw over mine that helps keep digging things out. I’ve buried rabbits and chickens way down in there. When I do that, I don’t turn the pile for a long time.

Jonrek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Perlite and vermiculite are rock material. They are very light when dry, hold lots of water but don't become easily compacted.

Dogs and other animals may dig through compost containing things that they would eat.

Steve

thanks for information, so i can use coarse sand or any rock material or how? what kind of rock should i use if dont have these perlite and vermiculite?

Jonrek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Meat or fat products can draw animals that you might not want around, like dogs, coyotes, raccoons, foxes, skunks, bobcats, bears, etc. I don’t know what you might attract in Thailand. They can dig into your compost and make a mess, plus they are then hunting on your property. That can lead to other destruction. They can also go rancid and stink. Meat can draw flies which lay eggs that turn into maggots. Those are the reasons I know of that you might not want to put meat or fat in your compost.

I do sometimes put meat or fat in, especially when I am just starting the pile. I bury it at the bottom and have none of those problems. I also have a screen I can throw over mine that helps keep digging things out. I’ve buried rabbits and chickens way down in there. When I do that, I don’t turn the pile for a long time.

i dont put things meat and fat things in my compost and i also dont what flies and maggots.. i hate them.:somad
just the banna peel and other things from veggies and fruits..
i dont think theres raccoon or other wild animals here in thailand but birds theres a lot.... im living in village area so everything is secured here.:thumbsup

Jonrek

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
this the type of soil in our garden bed. a bit powedery when dry and becomes clay when its wet..

how can make it this soil become good? is there possibilities.

Attachments

• IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 195

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think there are possibilities.

The coarse sand may be the best material for you, Jonrek.

Steve

Latest posts