Best use for my coffee grounds ???

VickiLynn

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was testing the pH of my garden soil, and since I had the kit out, I also tested the pH of my used coffee grounds. It came up with 6.0 (slightly acid). This was Eight O'Clock Coffee - not sure if all brands would be the same. So I'm feeding it to my blueberry and lilac bushes.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sparks said:
Mine just go into the compost!
I did last summer, but this winter, I just was not able to get outside much -could not take a chance of falling and dislocating one of my "porcelean-stainless steel hips- so I just stored them in a container that was easy to get to.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really appreciated everyones response. I was just wondering how others use them.. sounds like their are great to attract earthworms.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Do they change the ph of your soil?

I can get grounds free from the coffee shop but I've always been afraid to try them.

Mary
No Mary, they really don't. Like Lesa said, all the acid goes into the coffee. But they really are very beneficial to soil so don't be afraid to use them. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Yesterday, I was testing the pH of my garden soil, and since I had the kit out, I also tested the pH of my used coffee grounds. It came up with 6.0 (slightly acid). This was Eight O'Clock Coffee - not sure if all brands would be the same. So I'm feeding it to my blueberry and lilac bushes.
Thistlebloom...you said it doesn't change the ph, what about the above comment?

Now, I'm confused....:idunno

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
VickiLynn said:
Thistlebloom...you said it doesn't change the ph, what about the above comment?

Now, I'm confused....:idunno

Mary
Let's see if I can explain this adequately without having my a.m. coffee(*snik* :p ) .Used coffee grounds will show up as slightly acidic on a pH meter, but once added to the soil the process of decomposition will render them close to neutral. This is true of any compost, it will always test close to neutral. So you aren't going to change your soils pH to a lower number by adding coffee grounds, but you definitely will increase the fertility of your soil by adding them. They are a fine soil additive.
I would like to refer you to some of the studies on the subject I read but I can't find them on my bookmarked sites. I will look them up tho'.
It's an interesting subject and one that is loaded with garden legend...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
yubafarm said:
Doh!! I didn't know coffee grounds were high in nitrogen. I thought I've been balancing out my green (chicken poop) with coffee grounds from my office....
I think that just about all seeds are fairly high nitrogen (higher protein - 100% protein is about 16% nitrogen).

The whole greens/browns compost-making notion is a little weird. Did you ever ask yourself how green lawn clippings are high N but straw is a "brown" :/? Where did the N go? Well, some of it went into the seed, which may not be green.

The "green" of grass is chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is mostly protein (= nitrogen). If grass dies and dries out in the sun, it loses that green color. The nitrogen is being lost into the air as ammonia gas.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
yubafarm said:
Doh!! I didn't know coffee grounds were high in nitrogen. I thought I've been balancing out my green (chicken poop) with coffee grounds from my office....
I think that just about all seeds are fairly high nitrogen (higher protein - 100% protein is about 16% nitrogen).

The whole greens/browns compost-making notion is a little weird. Did you ever ask yourself how green lawn clippings are high N but straw is a "brown" :/? Where did the N go? Well, some of it went into the seed, which may not be green.

The "green" of grass is chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is mostly protein (= nitrogen). If grass dies and dries out in the sun, it loses that green color. The nitrogen is being lost into the air as ammonia gas.

Steve
Here's what I don't get, green grass is high in nitrogen, coffee grounds are a good source of nitrogen, but they can be applied to my soil without burning my plants, and yet chicken doo is high in nitrogen, but you don't dare add it until it's been broken down in the compost.
Maybe you could explain this in small words and simple terms so I get it. Please go slowly ;)
Is it partly the salts that are in fresh-anything manure?
And am I hijacking this thread?