Best use for my coffee grounds ???

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been storing my used coffee grounds since last fall. I have a large bucket full-yes, its been a long winter-
Now I am wondering if there is anything in a regular veg garden that would NOT like them. I remember that years ago, a neighbor used to spread them over the grass outside his kitchen door, and the grass there looked like it had an underground water source. It grew fast, and was dark green.
I have read several commments on here about it being a good thing, but how much is too much.
I would like to hear the experience of others.:idunno

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
sparks said:
Mine just go into the compost!
Same here. I even have a small mom-n-pop restaurant save theirs for me. In my years of experience with coffee grounds it seems to be a great organic soil amendment to keep the soil more fluffy and less prone to compacting.

But 4grandbabies, I would not stockpile it. I always get it into the compost pile asap so it begins to compost quickly.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I feed mine directly to my gardenia, azaleas, blueberries & raspberries... they love me for it! :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of the benefits of coffee grounds are that they contain roughly the same amount of nitrogen as fresh grass clippings, are a good source of humus and earthworms love them. Spread them out or stir them into the soil, because if they're just sort of piled they dry and resist water penetration.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do they change the ph of your soil?

I can get grounds free from the coffee shop but I've always been afraid to try them.

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read somewhere (sorry I don't remember where) that used coffee grounds are not acidic. That the acid gets washed through, into the coffee?? I add mine to the compost, and I do think the worms enjoy it...

yubafarm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Doh!! I didn't know coffee grounds were high in nitrogen. I thought I've been balancing out my green (chicken poop) with coffee grounds from my office. I really need to get better about balancing my compost. My compost is really more of a volunteer worm bin. I threw some red wigglers in there 3.5 years ago and now it is loaded with them. i am off the toss it in there and leave it variety of composter and turn it ~4 times per year. Lurking here to learn more...

Latest posts