Best uses for Swiss Chard stems?

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’m growing Swiss chard for the first time this spring and I was wondering what some good ways to use the stems would be. I’d love some recipes if anyone is willing to share!

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i don't know what people don't like about them other than they take longer to cook.

to me they taste like the rest of it. if you like beets and greens in general they're good food.
I hope I like them I’m trying it as a spinach alternative I’ve never gotten to try beets that’s another thing I’m trying for the first time this year.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chard, kale, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower leaves, lettuce, spinach are all good for chickens if they will at them. Mine tend to eat some things better than others but what that is can change each year as the flock members change.

Chard stems need to cook linger than the leaves which complicates cooking them a bit but you can get that timing right. I've been known to add cut up chard stems to soup. Just add it late as it doesn't take that long to cook, otherwise it can get mushy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chard stems need to cook linger than the leaves which complicates cooking them ...
That's the problem with them. The stems are still crunchy and the leaves are mush.

I have now grown Perpetual Spinach chard for 2 seasons. It had some problems. Taglio da Verda chard was something that I discovered several years ago. The seed is a little hard to find but it is a real nice green for those who like chard but don't like the heavy stems. Both varieties have thinner stems.

Steve