Best Vine for Chain Link Fence

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
kathyschix said:
I am trying this against our chain link fence this year:

Red Malabar Spinach

The chickens can munch on it and hopefully we'll get some too! And of course hopefully it will grow... :pop .

Regards,

Kathy
:ep I tried to order that this year! Baker's Seeds said they were sold out when I put my order in in Jan.
It sound great for chickens! Were did you get your seeds?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
This is great! Originally I was just trying to find something purdy to cover up the fence with, and now, I can actually grow something productive on there!?!

I'm Excited! I'd kind of like to try pole beans, is there any certain good variety? (I was thinking Blue Lake or Kentucky Wonder)

Would the squash or melons be able to grow vertically on the fence? I kind of thought that they might break off from the vine or something.
Either of those beans are suppose to be great, do what I do when I can't decide. Plant both!!
I have not heard of any squash or melons breaking off of the vines unless you have a storm with strong winds.
Cucumbers and squash will actually grow straighter if they are grown vertically than if they grew on the ground.
Check out the scarlet runner beans and sunset runner beans too, they are very pretty and do double duty in the garden,.
They look nice and they are edible.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've grown Malabar spinach over the last few years but will forego it in 2009.

I've had to start it in the greenhouse, and then move it into a plastic tunnel. It wasn't actually "outside" until well into June - all that, to keep the thing growing with adequate warmth. It is just a little too tropical for here.

For annuals, Scarlet Runner beans are attractive as is morning glory. The neighbor and I allowed Virginia Creeper to grow on our fence the last few years. The neighbor and her swimming pool are both gone now. I'm not sure what the new tenant will replace that gargantuan, above-ground pool with but I'm hoping it is a garden ;).

Steve

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just so you know, hops can be really invasive. I had some come up in an antique rose bush of mine (dropped by a wild bird?? dunno....) and for years I've been battling it. Can't get rid of it and it chokes up the rosebush. You'd think our bitter winters would kick it off, but I think it just makes it tougher. But they are pretty. Maybe we'll research how to brew some beer this summer when I'm ready to scream at the invaders...

I'd grow squash, beans or peas. And morning glories are always pretty...

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I bought some Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans, and some Scarlet Runner Beans. I can't wait to get them in once the weather warms up. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I actually just bought some fencing to put in my garden for my beans and cucumber! :D

Some of us really need MORE fence!!! :lol:

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to put peas against my fence this year. That way I don't have to run string or anything. The whole front yard is surrounded by chain link. I painted it black to help it look a little better, but I think covered in veggies it will look great.

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Catalina said:
:ep I tried to order that this year! Baker's Seeds said they were sold out when I put my order in in Jan.
It sound great for chickens! Were did you get your seeds?
I know! I would have really liked to buy it from them but wanted to try it badly. :barnie So I broke down and bought it from Johnny's Seeds.

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HOPS? Does anyone know where to find or order the plants? Having a hard time locating. Thanks!

Latest posts