Best Way to Enjoy Homegrown Celery?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :frow

I use celery all the time, adding it to soups & casseroles as well as eating it raw. I make a dish very like HiDeights but I wrap the celery in thin slices of home-cooked ham it makes a great supper dish & disguises the taste a bit for children (they take a while to get used to the taste)! I have also made it with thin cooked rashers of bacon or Serrano Ham.

I haven't grown celery for years but I'm going to next year. I seem to remember putting loads of soot from my newly swept chimney into the earth over the stems. I shall have to look it up!

A tip for you..............if you cut off the top leaves & thin stems when you are preparing it, DON'T THROW THEM INTO THE COMPOST BIN, dry them off until they are crispy & use them as a dried herb, very useful when you don't have any fresh stuff. Be careful how much you use as the taste gets very powerful as it dries. :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I know this is simple, but I love my raw celery dipped in peanut butter! Crunchy only. Add a few raisins and youv'e got yourself a yummy "ant canoe"! :gig
:lol: That was my most immediate thought on how to use my celery, but I didn't remember the raisins.

Hattie -- thanks for the tip about drying some for later use. So I can use dried leaves for flavoring? The leaves are beautiful so I would like to use them!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
big brown horse said:
I know this is simple, but I love my raw celery dipped in peanut butter! Crunchy only. Add a few raisins and youv'e got yourself a yummy "ant canoe"! :gig
:lol: That was my most immediate thought on how to use my celery, but I didn't remember the raisins.

Hattie -- thanks for the tip about drying some for later use. So I can use dried leaves for flavoring? The leaves are beautiful so I would like to use them!
I always use the leaves in my soups. I make "trinity" with celery (stalks and leaves), onions, carrots for almost all of my soups.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi DrakeMaiden :frow

Yup! Use them either fresh or dried. They taste exactly the same as the stems (just when dried they taste stronger in the same way dried herbs do). :D I keep the dried ones in a large glass jar along with my jars of herbs.

I also dry all my mushroom stalks & peelings & when they are completely dried I blitz them to a powder to add to soups & stews.

In fact when I shared a house with someone who had two very faddy teenage children who would not eat most vegetables I dehydrated a variety of vegetables, blitzed the lot & made homely stews, pot-roasts & pasta dishes to feed them with -- they downed the lot & asked for second helpings.........!!! :lol: :gig No excuses for not getting their "5-a-day " quota -- they never knew it was in there (until they became adults with children of their own)! :lol:

Some people use this vegetable powder rather than a lot of salt if they are trying to cut back. They sprinkle it over the cooked food.

:rose Hattie :rose

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
BBH -- I had not heard of this "trinity" of which you speak, I will have to look it up further.

:frow Hi Hattie! I'm not surprised that the teenagers enjoyed your cooking. No one can resist well-prepared real food! :D Thank you, I will never waste a celery leaf again!

Thank you everyone for the input! I have decided to tackle the green chili enchilada project. I am considering adding a few green tomatoes to the dish too. Anyone have an opinion on that? Better warn me now, if you think it is a bad idea! :p

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I looked up the trinity of celery, onion, and carrot, and I thought the article I pulled up was interesting. I figured I should share it with those of you who like to cook, in case you haven't heard of it either.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
See, pretty cool hua? Lots of Louisanna folks infiltrated TX through out the ages. I have quite a few Cajun recipes under my belt. (I love to make seafood gumbo! :drool)

I didn't know other cultures had a trinity of their own, thanks for sharing!

Hattie, that is a wonderful idea about dehydrating mushroom stems etc. I am going to try it!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I found a buncha different recipes for the enchilladas . . . I chose one that was a little on the simpler side, so it did not have the tomatillos in it. (I didn't want to buy a bunch of ingredients just to try this dish). So the green tomatoes are just sort of a filler, because I will be making it without chicken and just want to generally mess around with different vegetables in the enchilladas.

Wait, I just spelled it enchillada! :cool: :gig

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Well, I found a buncha different recipes for the enchilladas . . . I chose one that was a little on the simpler side, so it did not have the tomatillos in it. (I didn't want to buy a bunch of ingredients just to try this dish). So the green tomatoes are just sort of a filler, because I will be making it without chicken and just want to generally mess around with different vegetables in the enchilladas.

Wait, I just spelled it enchillada! :cool: :gig
:yuckyuck It is Friday. I think it was a Freudian typo!

Latest posts