best way to zap poison ivy?

mitch landen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have patches of this mess in various places of my yard. Some of it is almost inaccessible (deep in azalea islands, entrenched among fence vines, etc), so digging it out ain't in the cards. Does anybody know of something other than a toxic chemical I can use that'll work? I've reluctantly used Round Up in the past; it worked, but ... I'm not comfortable with having that anywhere near my veg's and/or fruit trees and grape vines.

Thx for any feedback!

Mitch

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is not easy to remove but the good news is that if you keep at it over time you can get rid of it using manual methods (making sure to keep covered up properly if you have the skin rash reaction to it).

it is not a super fast growing vine so if you ever find it and can cut the vine off and just leave the vine in place so that the top will dry and die off then eventually it will be broken down. yes, it is better if you can remove all parts of the plant and destroy them but like you say that isn't always possible.

another approach that helps is to always walk your property a few times a year to catch any new vines that can be coming up from seeds dropped by birds or any other parts that may be regrowing.

mitch landen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thx much; I was thinking that may be the only way to go -- vigilance, and work. I have bees, and am told they love p. ivy blooms. Too bad - I guess they'll have to do w/o ....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m so allergic to that stuff, I break out in blisters. Naturally it is everywhere on our place. :he I thought the sheep might eat it, but it’s not on the menu.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m so allergic to that stuff, I break out in blisters. Naturally it is everywhere on our place. :he I thought the sheep might eat it, but it’s not on the menu.

goats will eat it, but i don't have enough of it here to make that a reason to get a goat. :)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I swear by Crossbow for the many sprigs of blackberry here in Southern Oregon. I put it in a squirt bottle to protect the other near by shrubs. Glycophosphate doesn't touch blackberry, but does a good job on poison oak.