Big Cook Out Plan... Planned and Ready to Go!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else is interested in doing this... I talked about it with my husband, and he thinks its a fabulous idea!

We're going to have a huge cook out... invite like 1/2 the people we know... even if we haven't seen them in YEARS.

And the cook out is a theme.... "Locals Only"

Meaning everyone has to bring a dish or drink and EVERYTHING has to be locally produced. So if you bring meat, it has to be local... locally grown fruits in a fruit salad only, local dairy, local everything! It can not have been produce any further then 40 miles from where you live.

I would also appreciate them to bring a card with where they found everything (local farm, sale at the grocery store but locally grown, farmers' market, ect). Also about what it cost to purchase everything (assuming they didn't grow their own). I want the out come to prove to everyone there how simple and inexpensive it can be to shop locally and how delicious in season foods can be!

As parting gifts I'm probably going to send everyone home with flowers, herbs and veggies from the garden.

Does anyone else think this to be a good idea!?

I think it would be excellent if large groups of us could get this together in our towns... do big invites and post how it goes. Pictures, recipes people brought, and how successful you all think it was? I'm sure BYC would just FALL over one another to join in as well! :D

I'm thinking July would be a good time since its the 4th, and I know some of my melons come into ripening, and you can't have a BBQ without melon! ;)

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just came across this thread and I have to say I LOVE this idea. I may steal it and do the same thing myself...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought it was fabulous too. I have not yet done the layout of when and where yet. I was so nicely notified I will be starting Jury Duty July 19th! (pooooooooooooooooooo) And with my business taking off, well, its one of those things that gets stuck on the back burner.

I have told a few friends who are THRILLED with the idea... so I'm sure people will do this, when i get around to actually doing something with the idea. ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The big day has been scheduled!!! August 7th from 3pm to 9pm. Canceling for Rain though... outdoor only event.

:D

Its the "LOCAL ONLY BBQ" where everyone has to bring a homemade dish, where the main ingredients have got to be locally grown and purchased. I gave a walk through to everyone on how to find what they need. Some people I know grow their own.

I'm so excited about this, I have people confirming now!!! :weee

Now I want to come up with stuff we can serve as well. :thumbsup

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have been hard at work preparing for this, we're having it on Saturday! People will be bringing dishes of their own. I'm hoping to have recipes and picture to share here.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What a good idea vfem.
Hope all goes well...we'd love to see pics!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somehow I missed this one... Great idea!

Now all you need is a local band to come play... :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I've had a lot of last minute people not making it because they all want to do the beach, and the chance of thunder storms has increased... so we'll see.

Hooligan

Sprout
Reaction score
Have fun!!! I hope you don't get rained out!!! Can't wait to see pictures!

Latest posts