Big fluffy yellow caterpillars

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just the last two days I have noticed several of these showing up in my veggie, and flower gardens. They are a pale yellow, about 1-1/2" long, and very fuzzy.

I have never seen this kind before in my entire life, and was curious as to what moth, or butterfly may lay them. They are one of the fastest moving caterpillars I have ever seen. They can cover the ground about two feet a minute.:eek:

I haven't noticed any damage to speak of from them to plants, but time will tell. So far the ones I have spotted, I have cut in half, or fed to the fish.

Any clue's to what they might be?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If they were at my house they would be chicken feed caterpillars.

:lol:

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey bills! I've noticed one too. Only difference is that I was describing it as a blonde caterpillar. They look like the ones that are typically orange and black striped and fuzzy, except they are all straw-colored.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Hey bills! I've noticed one too. Only difference is that I was describing it as a blonde caterpillar. They look like the ones that are typically orange and black striped and fuzzy, except they are all straw-colored.
I believe the blonde one you saw, was not it's natural hair color, but a dye job..:lol: Probably out looking for a sugar daddy...:lol:

I do see the odd orange and black fuzzy's around. Those I have seen since I was a kid, it's this yellow one that has my curiosity up. I did some google searching, and there were a few similar ones listed. It's definitely not the "Laugher", which has a black face, or a Dagger Moth caterpillar, as it doesn't have the black spike.

It looks just like this one.
http://photo.xanga.com/Yoshiprongha/2927365300703/photo.html

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This site has good photos of the color variations of the caterpillar.

Latest posts