Bird Sightings 2014 - 2015

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh what a nice day you must have had!
Awesome photos, could you explain what you mean by the swans tag?

We had an awesome day! Biked for probably 3 hours, with lots of stops for pics of course :) The one Trumpeter swan has a band around his neck - various groups band them for studies, and the color of the band, as well as the letter/number combination can tell you about who banded the swan, and where he/she has been observed since. Pic #5 in my post (horrible exposure, but you could see the band well!) shows that this swan's ID is red band, white markings - K61. I haven't had a lot of luck finding out more yet, but I'm going to keep searching on the net!

OK I submitted a report of the banded bird to the USGS Bird Banding Laboratory, and it says in 2-4 weeks I'll get a report of where it was banded, FUN!

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saw three sandhill cranes flying overhead. I fear the the bluebird house has been taken over by house wrens. I've seen both pairs of birds fighting over the nesting box, so I added another bluebird house in the closest tree. I'm hoping that will solve the problem and give my bluebird family a good home near the orchard again.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Feathered friends are back!
April 8 - Canadian geese find a fishing hole -

Picture 9535.jpg Picture 9543.jpg

Picture 9544.jpg Picture 9549 1.jpg

What a difference TWO days can make when it finally warms up! -

Picture 9562 1.jpg Picture 9589.jpg

Picture 9623 1.jpg

So far - mallards, bufflehead, several wood ducks and a few blue-winged teal. The buffleheads are migrating. Also a pair of sandhill cranes in a cornfield down the road, a flock of seagulls, and yesterday I missed hitting a wild turkey by this // much! :eek:

No sightings of the hawk near that nest, but I hope to see it back hunting squirrel at the right time.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice shots lavender, I really like the goose jumping up on the ice and the WOOD DUCKS! Love them :)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had a long camping weekend, 2 and a half days, 2 nights, so I've got lots of bird pictures to subject you to...hah. The highlight of the weekend was pic #2, BLACK NECKED STILTS!!!

Bald eagle (I have lots more pics of this eagle if you want to see more ;) )
bald eagle.jpg
Black-necked stilts
black necked stilts.jpg
Dark-eyed junco on a cold morning
junco.jpg
Long-billed curlew, a little fuzzy because he was a long way off
long billed curlew.jpg
Merlin giving me the EYE!
merlin.jpg
Steve's mountain bluebird of happiness
mtn bluebird.jpg
Spotted towhee singing
spotted towhee.jpg

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@NwMtGardener, Never too many bird pics! :)

Perfect shot of the bluebird! ... looks like a beautiful painting!
Very fun sighting of the Stilts, great shot of them also! Looks like they have a pretty limited breeding area up there, wonder if they stay there to breed?
What a wonderful spot to camp!