BIRDS

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck, I think we may have a bird problem or the rabbit found a way around/under the chicken wire enclosure. All kale, spinach and a few tomatoes GONE. :( I like the sprayer @Smart Red but we do not have running water at the garden. :( HEY that might work to deter the tavern tipplers and the neighbors dog! ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
another-bird-1-jpg.13593

Stars, on feather tips.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a frustration! I didn't realize birds would do this. Last year I lost many peppers and some tomatoes to something crawling under the black plastic, chewing down the whole stem, and then dragging the plant under the plastic.

While the critter might be gone this year, I've decided when it is time to plant that I will reinstall the ridiculous hardware cloth collars. Good luck with your bird battle! I love birds, but this would make me crazy.
@buckabucka, when I had black plastic down to kill grass in a garden annex, I could see the voles working under the plastic, bumping it along like cats under a blanket. It creates a playground for them. And they are plant/root eaters, so I bet they thanked you kindly for the plants.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the other kind of bird or younger version of the other birds, but I am not sure. Not sure about this male and female taking care of nest, maybe, 2 nests in there? View attachment 13593 View attachment 13594 View attachment 13595
Yup, those ARE Starlings... Not only are they a mennace to a garden, they can be quite the mennace to a building, house and home. Last year I had a Doctor's appointment at Kaizer, and as I was walking from the parking lot to the building when I notice that starlings were building their nest in the light fixture in the roof overang when some nesting twigs started to fall to the ground . A couple of the twigs were on FIRE as they fell. I immediately reported this to a lady at the front desk who made a call and a couple of guys came out with a dadder to open up the light fixture and removed the nest . The starlings had removed the wireing nuts from the electrical wires and when they built their nest ... sparks started to fly when they placed the twigs onto the exposed wires. Could have burned the whole Kaizer clinic down.:thKill , main, and destroy starlings on sight! :mad:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can not believe Kaizer is still in business .Do they still give Dr bonus for not doing test? I had them in my early 20s they closed down here.

Kaizer is one of the largest health providers in the West. My doctors order every test in the arsenals... be it a simple blood test, to biopsy, x-rays, MRI, electrocardiogram, surgery at their own hopital and/ or other hospitals, etc. , etc..

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, those ARE Starlings... Not only are they a mennace to a garden, they can be quite the mennace to a building, house and home. Last year I had a Doctor's appointment at Kaizer, and as I was walking from the parking lot to the building when I notice that starlings were building their nest in the light fixture in the roof overang when some nesting twigs started to fall to the ground . A couple of the twigs were on FIRE as they fell. I immediately reported this to a lady at the front desk who made a call and a couple of guys came out with a dadder to open up the light fixture and removed the nest . The starlings had removed the wireing nuts from the electrical wires and when they built their nest ... sparks started to fly when they placed the twigs onto the exposed wires. Could have burned the whole Kaizer clinic down.:thKill , main, and destroy starlings on sight! :mad:

WOW!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I decided not to spend money on the motion things. I did see one that is a scarecrow for $50. I looked for a stuffed cat or owl at the thrift stores, Walmart, Dollar Store, and nothing. ACE has a plastic owl to move around for $17. I was carrying it around the store and thought this is nuts and did not buy it. We took the netting off and put string across the top of the rows of peppers and tied bags cut up to wave in the wind. I will put netting over the squash. See how this goes for a day or so.

Latest posts