Birds

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug ,

I don't hear well enough to use that site. Recorded bird songs can be amplified to where I can hear sound. That does not mean that I can distinguish and identify either the recording or in nature.

Hearing loss has gone on essentially all of my life. An inability to hear 30 decibels by the time I was 15 and the slow progression of loss continued. A change to my most familiar bird songs was something I noticed as a young adult. Being able to hear some sound may mean very little for comprehension. I have worn hearing aids since 1983. Ain't that a kick?

Steve ;)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
363421316_881311820194652_1575349189503448844_n.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@flowerbug ,

I don't hear well enough to use that site. Recorded bird songs can be amplified to where I can hear sound. That does not mean that I can distinguish and identify either the recording or in nature.

Hearing loss has gone on essentially all of my life. An inability to hear 30 decibels by the time I was 15 and the slow progression of loss continued. A change to my most familiar bird songs was something I noticed as a young adult. Being able to hear some sound may mean very little for comprehension. I have worn hearing aids since 1983. Ain't that a kick?

Steve ;)
So...if you DID have a buddy to talk to if you were up in the middle of the night, and your buddy called YOU, you might not heard the phone ring?
You Would hear it if you had MY Samsung phone!! It's so loud it could wake the dead!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
At night, when the house is quiet, I sometimes hear a little rustling from the kitchen. That really alarmed me at first, as I thought mice might have gotten in.

Nope - it was birds. DW had mounted steel mesh outside over the exhaust vent, because she thought (perhaps rightly) that birds might pry open the shutters & get in. I think they cling there to warm themselves on bitter cold nights, and maybe they feed on the grease which builds up on the vent.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
At night, when the house is quiet, I sometimes hear a little rustling from the kitchen. That really alarmed me at first, as I thought mice might have gotten in.

Nope - it was birds. DW had mounted steel mesh outside over the exhaust vent, because she thought (perhaps rightly) that birds might pry open the shutters & get in. I think they cling there to warm themselves on bitter cold nights, and maybe they feed on the grease which builds up on the vent.

i have to check everything here once in a while to make sure the mice haven't found a way through or around... sneeky little creatures... and very cute too, but they must remain outside!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have to check everything here once in a while to make sure the mice haven't found a way through or around... sneeky little creatures... and very cute too, but they must remain outside!
They get into my basement once in awhile. This year I had some hot pepper plants that I had pulled out whole. When the unheated patio got too cold, I moved them to a tub in the basement. Last week, I happened to peek at them while downstairs - and half of the peppers were gone! :ep Looking more closely, the perpetrator (a mouse) was still there, trapped by the high sides of the tub. I was able to carefully extract the pepper plants, and that particular mouse will cause no further trouble.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
They get into my basement once in awhile. This year I had some hot pepper plants that I had pulled out whole. When the unheated patio got too cold, I moved them to a tub in the basement. Last week, I happened to peek at them while downstairs - and half of the peppers were gone! :ep Looking more closely, the perpetrator (a mouse) was still there, trapped by the high sides of the tub. I was able to carefully extract the pepper plants, and that particular mouse will cause no further trouble.

i bury the poor critters in the gardens after saying i'm sorry for being a mean human to them. my goal is to keep them outside where they can live without me doing anything to them at all and i'm close to being there in terms of not setting traps since the bleach fumes has been keeping them away from the crawlspace entrance and the AC unit.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was dreaming this early morning about an owl hooting and sure enough i woke up a bit later and the owl was still hooting. a few minutes later the heat came on and that was that. i've never seen it.

Latest posts