Bit of a sad day

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've owned horses most of my life. Trust your instincts. No one knows your horse like you do. If something seems off when you see him next, do what you think is best.

How long as he been at the trainers? The colic could be stress related. Change of routine, barn, pasture mates, feed almost anything can set off a bout of colic.

I lost one to colic many years ago. Every since then, if I come home and see my horses laid out in the pasture, I go and make them get up just to make sure everything is ok.

So sorry about your piglet.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's been there since the 7th of this month.
He was moved to a larger pasture, with more horses in it, a couple days ago. I noticed the first day I took him out from that pen to his stall to put on his bosal, he drank 2in of water from his bucket. The next day, he didn't drink from his bucket and today, he was bullying a younger gelding while I was walking over to get him. The poop he had in the crossties right before the episode was normal, not dry, but also not runny.

Maybe that's why he wasn't listening during yesterday's snow ride.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Orange is the pen he was in, blue is the big pen he is in now.
Heard back, he was fine over night and fine this morning.
2016-01-28.jpg

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The good old time remedy endorsed by old time horse owners as well as vets. ...is to make a mash of a couple pounds of wheat bran soaked in very hot water untill it all softens and serve while it is still quite warm.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, so sorry about your little piggie. :(

Sounds like you've picked an excellent stable to work with. I like that he picked up on the colic so quickly.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, I'm surprised how attached I am to them, the mix piglets. Didn't want more mouths to feed, so wasn't thrilled having them. But I ended up loving them anyways. Hah

I think if there weren't 4 people there, 3 dogs and saddles everywhere, I may of thought something was wrong instead of thinking he was just being a brat and all the commotion was upsetting him. He was wiggly in the cross ties today, too. But his breathing was normal and he didn't sweat, so it was just him telling me how much he hated the first saddle I was girthing up.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
See? He was making faces at me at the end to get me to stop taking pictures and hand him the horse-cookie!
2016-01-29 17.00.12.jpg
20160129_155301.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a close call! I lost a horse to colic, it was tough. I am glad your boy is fine now. Sorry about the piglet. That is something that is hard to deal with. Sending hugs. :hugs

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've started to make friends with this pigley now.
I can leave the shed door open to get her more water and she waits for me.
Still getting real cold, freezing night temps, so can't move her out. Feeling sad for her that I'm her only buddy. Hoping the nights warm up so I can move her next to the other pigs so she can start working on making new friends!
Have a video I will link tomorrow of her chillin with the door open. I can see why people make them pets.
Screenshot_2016-02-06-20-48-56.png
Screenshot_2016-02-06-20-49-46.png

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My heart was pounding when reading your first post. I know nothing about horses. That piggy looks so thin skinned! No wonder the other babe died. My sadness for you....