Black-eyed Peas

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just remember to string them. Forgot once, what a mess to eat...

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Take a 1 lb package of dried black eyed peas and soak them just until the skin splits and comes loose so you have the skinless pea but not a minute longer. Place them in a whirligig, vegematic, food processor or what have you with one clove garlic, one cowhorn pepper or close family (not yours) member and 1 tsp (5ml) salt. Mush it up coarsely, and dropping teaspoon sized balls into the pan fry them in a hot oil, 375f works. You can thank me later. They are a cuban dish called bollos.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have found very few beans i didn't like. peas of various kinds i also like, but some of those are not as good when cooked up after they've been dried, but they work well as pods or when the peas are fresh. often you can find me standing in the garden eating the new peas... :)

beans, well, um, yeah... line 'em up i'll knock em down. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife is a Maine-iac, which translates into "Bean Eater" as near as I have figured it. Peas are a passion of mine, being a "Southerner". We balance out as a result.
@Dirtmechanic , will we find your wife over in the bean thread? @Bluejay77 put things together here on TEG in 2013 but his involvement in seed-saving goes back to this group, founded by a Maine native, way back when:

The Wanigan Associates

She can read about the founder, how it started, and what in tarnation a "wanigan" is.

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Dirtmechanic , will we find your wife over in the bean thread? @Bluejay77 put things together here on TEG in 2013 but his involvement in seed-saving goes back to this group, founded by a Maine native, way back when:

The Wanigan Associates

She can read about the founder, how it started, and what in tarnation a "wanigan" is.

Steve
I will show her but her interests have morphed into making artistic gourds and gourding over the last few years.. Now I think her title is "supervisor of gardener", but she does like the bedding plants. She made these gourds in the pics and grew most of them. Turns out there is a gourd underground where gourd shapes are swapped about. She usually gives them as a gift or donates them for fundraiser auctions. She has a few favorites, but most she is shy about letting loose for some perceived flaw. Art is in the eye sometimes. As long as they stay off the coffee table....
IMG_20191030_085315_resize_53.jpg
IMG_20191030_085331_resize_55.jpg
IMG_20191030_085429_resize_74.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts