Black eyed peas...

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Is is just about the right time (maybe a little late?) to plant a few blackeyed peas? I didn't plant them earlier because of running out of room in the garden....I pulled out about 2 dozen onions that were ready for harvest and that left enough room for a few peas....went ahead and planted them tonight. It is so HOT early here in zone 7 Texas but we will see what happens.....:tools

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Black eyed peas are a great crop to plant late in the season. They are very heat tolerant and even take some drought. Watch out for deer and rabbits though. They love to browse them.

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Hoodat! HOT and dry would fit the bill here! We've tried to rabbit proof the garden fence, but boy is it difficult! SweetMissDaisy - they are the dried ones from the grocery store....anxious to see how they do. My sister said she planted the ones from the grocery store, too. I've never planted blackeyed peas but my entire family loves them! I read online today that most folks don't know the tender leaves can be harvested and used in salads! Has anyone tried them? :tools

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
luvsdirt said:
. . . I read online today that most folks don't know the tender leaves can be harvested and used in salads! Has anyone tried them?
I have tried them several times many years ago and as I remember they are very bitter and, to me, inedible.

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Smiles....if I try them, I'll be careful to take a very small bite!