black lab farm fall garden happenings heavy pic

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major since you have a lot of raspberries, I know you can answer my pruning question. I get all confused as to when, old wood, new wood, etc. I can't keep it straight.

I only have 3 plants (2 Heritage, and 1 Fall Gold). I believe they are everbearing? This is their first year and only grew a couple feet but they did produce a few good berries. New growth is already starting at the bottom. Do I prune the old vine where the berries grew?

If so, can I do it now? Our winters are mild.

I thought they would have grown much bigger and produced more, is this normal for their first year?

Thanks a bunch!
Mary

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Major since you have a lot of raspberries, I know you can answer my pruning question. I get all confused as to when, old wood, new wood, etc. I can't keep it straight.

I only have 3 plants (2 Heritage, and 1 Fall Gold). I believe they are everbearing? This is their first year and only grew a couple feet but they did produce a few good berries. New growth is already starting at the bottom. Do I prune the old vine where the berries grew?

I thought they would have grown much bigger and produced more, is this normal for their first year?

Thanks a bunch!
Mary
mary, sorry i will answer your questions tomorrow night i am off to bed have to get up at o'dark thirty and heading off to the conover store, once settled in at the hotel will give you all you need to know...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
majorcatfish said:
journey will have to say most if not all the kiwis were not ripe when we picked them, but that worked out great we just kept them in a cool room and when we wanted some all we did was place them in the fruit basket in the kitchen and in about 5 days they ripened we are still on a learning curve, and fall is here the leafs are slowly turning yellow. we give away a few last year as a holiday gift and we have already been asked about them.
I will have to tell my MIL to try that. Thanks!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hows everyones fall garden doing?
My fall garden is a small raised bed about 3'x3' and about 15' in a big oak tree. I hope harvest an abundant crop of whitetails.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:

Thanks a bunch!
Mary
Mary since you have ever bearing raspberries the canes that produced
Berries this year will have a small harvest next spring.
But you will need to prune out those canes after that, be careful not
To hurt this years growth.
Also this would be a good time to apply some sevin dust on and
Around the crowns this will help on any pests like crown borers
Plus in about month it would be a good idea to spray some
Dormancy oil around the crown.
Mary you should start seeing more berries every year from now on.....
Next spring feed them some balanced fertilizer and again in early July .

Hope this helps

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wow major! those are some gorgeous raised beds. I wish I had planted garlic. I wonder if I still can. I may give it a shot. those carrots are sure beautiful too!

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Jared77, I think you're great. Thank you for the smile this am!

Raspberry pruning, another thing to look up...got the assorted pack and made a 50 foot row, but can't remember what they are...I wrote it down someplace. What's the worst that can happen if I don't prune anything but dead wood?

Latest posts