black lab farm garlic harvest UPDATE 6/15/13

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
here is what I was talking about.

garlic was happy and green the scapes come up and then sudden death. in the last couple weeks we have had 4+ inches of rain

going to send the picture to the county coop ex and see what they say.....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Major, looks like a river runs through it!

Too bad you lost so much of your garlic. What you did harvest looks good though. I planted Killarney Red also, and another variety that I can't think of. This is only my second year growing garlic, but it's on my permanent list now.

If that cart is usually full, you must have a lot of garlic! What all do you do with it? I'm hoping to get enough this year for fresh eating and to have some to replant in October. I read that pickling it does not destroy it's beneficial qualities so I may do a little of that also.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
in past years it was only susanville garlic would plant around 500 cloves, made braids out of the most and sold them and we put some in with the tomatoes when canning, dried some and of course cooked with the rest. but last year decided to try hardneck garlic. with the strange weather pattern we had last year was a factor in my loss, so planning on replanting again but in a raised bed and improving the drainage away from that area. but will also planting a new area that is a bit more dryer and less sun as a test plot... you never know till you try....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Majorcatfish, have you considered digging a pond and stocking it with......let's see.....ummmmm.........maybe CATFISH? :lol:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
Majorcatfish, have you considered digging a pond and stocking it with......let's see.....ummmmm.........maybe CATFISH? :lol:
if i did have a pond it would be stocked with crappie..yum

would that mean i would have to change my name too majorcrappie? have been told once or twice that i am full of it.... :gig :gig

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
majorcatfish said:
baymule said:
if i did have a pond it would be stocked with crappie..yum

would that mean i would have to change my name too majorcrappie? have been told once or twice that i am full of it.... :gig :gig
:yuckyuck

I'm NOT full of it. My eyes are green--I'm a quart low! :gig

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wow, that's some runoff. i'm sure you're sick of it, but it looks so beautiful to me.
i'm hoping for a decent garlic harvest this year. I don't even know the varieties I have. they're planted here and there. I usually have enough to last most of the year, but last year, didn't have much at all.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
it was time to dig up the rest today
the turkish giant was no giant, the elephant garlic did very well< the 7 that was planted>
the rest was from the x-mas planting, they did quite well but small bulbs.
so now have to cure them and figure out what heads to keep as seed for this fall.
guess it was not a complete crop failure altogether this year.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks yummy to me!! Sorry your harvest wasn't what you expected, but at least you got a harvest!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
That looks yummy to me!! Sorry your harvest wasn't what you expected, but at least you got a harvest!
amen to that.. too be honest thought i lost the whole x-mas planting with all the rain we have received, guess i was wrong!!
since i am on a raised bed kick, thinking about making a few garlic beds as a trial

edit.. now since we have a harvest and a dehydrator and a couple weeks plus with the onions going to read up on drying them.

Latest posts