black lab farm garlic harvest UPDATE 6/15/13

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
been wondering why a good portion of my garlic died the only thing i can think of ...too much rain late in the season and they rotted in the ground.
but was able to harvest a portion weather they cure out or not is another story

left.... killarney red hardneck
middle....spanish rojo hardneck
right...susanville softneck

the turkish giant, elephant are still happy at the moment in the ground
oh if all the garlic did make it the cart would have been full......

still have December planting of garlic in the ground in another area so far looking good....only time will tell :fl

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dug up a couple of stalks of garlic yesterday just to see what it looked like. It looks good! One is about 2.5" in diameter, the other about 2". This is some free garlic the grocer gave me last spring cause it was sprouting. I have them in the shade, hardening off.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the few years that we have been growing garlic this was the first year really wet late season, so this fall going to plant in raised beds so they will not be drowning in water and still be productive.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking good! We just ate some garlic from last fall, on our pizza tonight. So far, this years plantings look pretty good- but too soon to tell. Enjoy!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've only grown one season of garlic, so still learning about this whole cycle that is completely different from anything else i grow. But i'm pretty sure i waited until my tops were much more brown than yours, major. Is it better to get it earlier and greener, like yours?? It seemed to work well for me...dried nice, lasted well.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It might look like a almost failure to you, but it is inspiring to me! I planted garlic last fall and so far it is looking good. Nowhere near as much as what you have. I think I have garlic envy. :gig

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, how's the Killarney growing for you? i thought that was a type that did well with excess rain or moist areas? did those have the most problems with die back or were they mostly ok? they do look good in the pic but i wasn't sure if that was all you got.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine's doing great, but I only have elephant and california white. We'll see when its been dry for a few more days I'll pull them and found out. We've had so much danged rain. I planted in October. ;)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well after reading and researching online everything does point to. too much water late in the season so the bulbs grew fast and burst their wrappers and rotted so most of them never had a chance.
so between now and this fall will be looking into a new location with better drainage, the one bad thing here is when it rains and rains we catch all the runoff in a 10 acre area.

Chickie'sMomaInNH the killarney red was doing the best, but the 1st to die and the poorest in the harvest. had high hopes for them i will be ordering new seed and replant them in the fall

NwMtGardener that is true the first couple tips should be turning brown it's time to dig one up and see how their are doing sometime bigger is not better,the more wrappers on the bulb the better/longer they will store.

vfem hope you have a better harvest than us.

property flooding

this is last fall

Latest posts