Black Walnut Fruits - Pix ** Updated 7/30

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine are about yay big at the moment. When can I expect them to be ready for harvest?

2655558921_7e7b48f6db.jpg

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have the same question...When do you harvest? What do they look like when it's time for harvest? And how? Do you shake them out? Let them fall from the tree then gather them?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I remember Miss Prissy from the BYC forum saying that she picked them off the ground and then had to smash them open.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When we were kids, we just picked them up off the ground. Be careful, the husks around the actual nut, if you aren't familiar with black walnuts, will stain very badly. Really badly. They used to be used as a natural dye (and probably still are). And the nuts are one of the hardest nuts to crack! I used to get myself a brick and a hammer and crack 'em. I love the flavor of black walnuts.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
if i remember correctly, early fall they will fall off and the green will turn black . but we let them lay in the driveway for a few weeks to get the yucky stuff off and dry out. And you do need a heavy hammer and a brick to crack them.

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mother suggested drying them out on trays in the basement during the winter. I think that'd promote mold and such. I'll collect them and let them dry on the porch.
Once they turn black, they're ready to 'peel' and crack open? I'd like to crack them all and store them in an air tight container... maybe use them for bread and cookies? Possible?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
once they turn black they can be peeled but DO NOT do it by hand. It stains everything it touches. Most people lay them out in the drive way or grass and walk or drive over them for a few days to get them off. Then you have to let the black stuff left on them dry up, maybe a couple weeks. Then you can crack them but I dont know what is harder, cracking them or getting the meats out. We used a hammer and large rock to crack them and a small pocket knife to get the nuts out. After you do all this you will understand why they are so expensive, but so good. We would keep the meats in a baggie in the freezer.

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have a HUGE black walnut in the backyard - am afraid to plant anything in the yard because of the juglone. Anyone have a thriving garden near their black walnut?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mirime said:
We have a HUGE black walnut in the backyard - am afraid to plant anything in the yard because of the juglone. Anyone have a thriving garden near their black walnut?
Sure, you may as well TRY things if you want plants back there. Peoples' experiences vary. It probably depends at least in part on your soil. There are lists available in lots of places (try looking with google) for plants that are most likely to tolerate living under/near black walnuts - I'd prolly go with those first, and/or divisions of things you have growing elsewhere (= free 'guinea pigs' :))

Good luck,

Pat

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have one of those lists printed out in my gardening book! And great thought about the type of soil - I hadn't thought of that before.

The other day, I was at my son's apartment/house and the next-door-neighbor-to-him had black walnuts circling their yard. And in the middle of the yard was a huge garden, with very vigorous-looking vegetables.

I'm not sure though if the juglone would make the veggies taste different...from what I have read, it might.