Black Walnut Fruits - Pix ** Updated 7/30

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i never heard of this before i came on here. All I can say is under our walnut tree we grow ivy, day lilly, iris, tulips and some kind of trailing vine i cant identify, wild raspberry and alyssium (sp?) Its a huge tree on the edge of the bank.

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I hadn't heard it until reading here either. There's lilacs and wild flowers (phlox or something) growing near our Walnut.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have what I think is an important question, albeit belated, regarding the toxicity of black walnuts to horses. Years ago in Loomis, CA, my horse had 2 trees in her pasture and although she had other stuff to eat she loved those black walnuts. She loved the acorns too. She is now unexplainably blind and I was wondering if her eating those walnuts might have caused her blindness. Anybody have any info on this? She ate those things for seven years, and I could never beat her to them to pick them up before she'd at least eat some of them. She started losing her sight about five years ago when she was 20, three years after moving away from those black walnut trees.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would bet against it, in a big way. It is not like blindness is all that rare in older horses, and if it didn't start til 3 yrs after she left the paddock with the walnuts I would really doubt they had anything to do with it. The effect of walnuts is generally fairly immediate, in terms of colic (if eaten) or laminitis (if used as bedding). It's not impossible of course but it does not seem any more likely than any *other* questionable substance.

Good for you for keeping her and taking care of her though,

Pat

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
i never heard of this before i came on here. All I can say is under our walnut tree we grow ivy, day lilly, iris, tulips and some kind of trailing vine i cant identify, wild raspberry and alyssium (sp?) Its a huge tree on the edge of the bank.
For Shellie too - here's a list of what can grow and what doesn't do so well w/black walnuts around

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I would bet against it, in a big way. It is not like blindness is all that rare in older horses, and if it didn't start til 3 yrs after she left the paddock with the walnuts I would really doubt they had anything to do with it. The effect of walnuts is generally fairly immediate, in terms of colic (if eaten) or laminitis (if used as bedding). It's not impossible of course but it does not seem any more likely than any *other* questionable substance.

Good for you for keeping her and taking care of her though,

Pat
Agreed. I doubt it was the walnuts.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
maybe there are variables, on that list it says you cant grow apple trees and lilys near the black walnut and we have them right now. the walnut tree is bigger around than 2 of us can reach and the apple tree has been there at least 40 years.

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
maybe there are variables, on that list it says you cant grow apple trees and lilys near the black walnut and we have them right now. the walnut tree is bigger around than 2 of us can reach and the apple tree has been there at least 40 years.
Ditto. Our apples are growing within 20 yards of our walnut. So are a few cherry trees.

chixrule

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a small walnut tree (actually have quite a few, watch your step walking in the backyard, you can break your ankle if your not watching where you are walking) and I decided to plant my garden underneath it. Not until all of my tomato plants started dying, did I realize the toxicity of the water runoff from the leaves. This year I planted my tomatoes on the other side of the garden, away from the tree and they are doing very well.

The basil, potatoes, lettuce and cucumbers did OK under the tree. This year the onions, melons and lettuce are doing OK under the tree.

I've never actually tried to open, much less eat any of the meat from the nut. I let the squirrels have them for their winter stash.

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I forgot to subscribe to this thread, and....I forgot the MissPrissy had a blog about black walnuts....sheesh what is wrong with my memory? LOL
I have a mulberry that is growing under my black walnut, and various weeds :coolsun

Latest posts