Black Walnut tree sap

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I learned today that syrup can be made from black walnut tree sap. I know someone here will know all about this. How can I have been on this earth so long and I have not heard about such a thing. Please experts. Educate me. My niece's husband just learned about it too and has a bucket full from his tree. So much fun!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I learned today that syrup can be made from black walnut tree sap. I know someone here will know all about this. How can I have been on this earth so long and I have not heard about such a thing. Please experts. Educate me. My niece's husband just learned about it too and has a bucket full from his tree. So much fun!!!

interesting for sure!

i think the main reason for this not being common is that the price of good quality walnut wood is a tremendous asset and you wouldn't want to ruin many board feet of prime lumber by putting holes in the trees.

i'm also not sure how resistant they are to diseases caused by tapping. i've never gotten into making syrup from maple trees so i've not gone into the topic in general of how the trees fare after being tapped or how to care for them or look out for problems, etc.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That sounds great, I hope that we can harvest that here as well, Unfortunately, They dont grow here in the Philippines, I bet its a great Idea to start planting that here too.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The effects of Black Walnut leaves/nuts have not been studied in goats, but are considered toxic to livestock. Red Maple – Wilted leaves are deadly to horses, causing red blood cell damage. I found this out the bad way. :(:(:(:(

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When you can grow mahogany, and mangoes, and coconuts... who needs black walnut. ;)
is It common for farmers and other small-scale growers to sell black walnuts locally? how much for a pound for black walnut meat at farmer's markets?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When you can grow mahogany, and mangoes, and coconuts... who needs black walnut. ;)
Well there are at least three tropical walnut species, Juglans boliviana, Juglans australis and Juglans neotropica. Those might grow in the Phillipines (though where one would obtain seed or saplings I have no idea.)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
is It common for farmers and other small-scale growers to sell black walnuts locally? how much for a pound for black walnut meat at farmer's markets?

not that i've seen so far, breaking black walnuts and getting at the meats is not an easy task. i've done it a few times and probably won't again unless there's some problem with getting them again.

at the big box store 12oz of black walnuts runs about $7.50USD.

i just made some black walnut cookies last week.

here is a link to the largest regional marketer of locally grown and harvested black walnuts (around us in the midwest of the USoA):

Last edited:

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Maple is not the only tree in town that can be tapped for syrup ... consider tapping birch and black walnut trees as well! ... Black Walnut and Paper Birch are the two most common maple alternatives. Such trees are tapped and their sap is handled in a somewhat similar manner to maple sap.

Latest posts