Blackberries!!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love blackberries, @majorcatfish showed me the way to make great l built a trellis for them, I have plenty that I put on the fence that goes around my garden. I couldn't wait till they were ready seem to take a little more time. I went into the back fields and picked 3 gallons of berries for the jelly I plan to make in the am. I guess I didn't pay enough attention, my arms are covered with poison ivy!!
I know the jelly will be great but what a price! will be putting in 2 more trellises in a few days!
:sick

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds great - mine are just starting to color red (before turning black).

Can you show us a picture of the trellis you built for your plants? Always looking for new ideas! Thanks!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to see your trellis too!

Our tame berries have been coming along slowly, a few here and there. The kids snack on those, but I go after the wild ones for freezing and making jam. I can handle the briars, but not the poison ivy!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, definitely NOT poison ivy. I find that I am highly allergic to the urushiol toxins. Freezing and jam are not worth the pain and discomfort.

Fortunately, I have yet to find any PI around my wild black raspberries. Gypsy and I went out to 'frolic' in the raspberry brambles. With the berries we picked, Gypsy (grandma helped) made her first black raspberry jam.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no! Last year I got poison ivy picking raspberries. I still haven't found the actual p.i. plants. Was out there picking today...so far so good. Hope the itchy doesn't drive you crazy! Picked a quart of blackberries, too. God, I love summer!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@the1honeycomb For the poison ivy, make a solution of 1/4 cup Clorox to a quart of water and wash the affected areas. Let it dry, don't rub it off. It will take out the itch, and dry up any blisters from the poison ivy. if you catch it soon enough, you won't even break out in a rash.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried every home remedy and all the pharmacy ones when I last got poison ivy. (Turns out I got it from my dog laying on my house coat and NOT from touching the plant.) The ONLY product that worked for me was a 1 oz. tube that cost $47 and was kept under lock and key.

On the plus side, I got a week off from school -- I couldn't wear proper clothing in places I couldn't even reach -- and was able to develop my favorite shade garden from scratch.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why is it the wild blackberries and poison ivy seem to grow together? We have some fabulous patches of blackberries that only DH can pick. I go near them and I break out. He and the dog bring the PI home to me anyway. I have it on my neck and a few tiny spots on the left side of my face. Most likely from handling the clothes he wore, the wash machine he laid said clothes on or the dog leaning on my legs at the table. :somad Grr.... @Smart Red I have the same intense reaction. The last bout took two RX of steroids to clear up. Also had to throw away the purse I carried on that trip. Shampooed camper upholstery and truck seat and wipe down EVERYTHING else with rubbing alcohol.

Latest posts