bleach in the water (how to kill mosquitos)?

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I collect rain water in a couple kiddie pools which I use to water my plants. Only problem is, mosquitoes lay their eggs in it and I get those nasty little larvae. I don't need any more mosquitoes. Someone recommended I put a cap full of bleach in the water; he said it would kill the skeeters but not hurt my plants. I consider his advice possibly dubious. What say you? Is it a bad idea? other ideas?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get dunks from Tractor Supply. They have something in them that kills mosquito larva and nothing else, something like BT. Actually, I think it is a form of BT. There ain't nothing safer because it only targets mosquito larva. The problem in a swimming pool type thing is that it does make a mess. It is in something like bran. This brown clump floating on top is not very appealing.

The bleach would probably work, but I don't know what concentration it would really take and I don't know what concentration would hurt your plants.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those dunks are really a great idea. Super simple, and not too spendy. I have seen them in gardening catalogs too. I believe just moving the water around, keeps them out of there, too. Maybe just a few stirs a days, would do it? How about some kind of screen over the opening? We finally got some rain, and tonight I got bit , they really weren't around when it was dry. I am telling you, you can't win! Happy Gardening!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some dish soap is what I use to kill mosquitoes. I don't think it would harm the plants either. The idea is that your altering the surface of the water with soap so the larvae suffocate and die, and new eggs won't hatch. That or you could put a few guppies in the pool and they'd get fat on mosquito larvae.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The larvae have to come to the top to breathe. A thin layer of cooking oil on top of the water stops up their breathing tubes and there isn't enough of it to harm the plants. You might also try crushing a few garlic cloves and putting them in the water. It discourages the adults from laying eggs there and kills the larvae.

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas everybody! I'll try some of the suggestions, probably garlic first, for the time being. I've found food grade sealable drums on craigslist though for cheap, so I think I'lll just get some next paycheck and keep my water there. Better all around, won't evaporate in the texas sun.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Rain-Barrel-Systems

I know I am chimming in late. But a few drops of dish soap works for the reasons Hoodat said. We have dropped in gold fish and plywogs in the past (not in connection with the soap) But have had a Fiskers Rain barrel for 2 years now. The best investment we have made. It takes a very small rain to fill it. The cover keeps dibris and insects out. Reasonably priced too. got ours at Home Depot.

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Rain-Barrel-Systems

I know I am chimming in late. But a few drops of dish soap works for the reasons Hoodat said. We have dropped in gold fish and plywogs in the past (not in connection with the soap) But have had a Fiskers Rain barrel for 2 years now. The best investment we have made. It takes a very small rain to fill it. The cover keeps dibris and insects out. Reasonably priced too. got ours at Home Depot.
OUCH! 138$ for the 58gal barrel + diverter system . That's exactly what I need though. I can get the 55gal plastic food grade drums on CL for 25$ each. The link you gave put ideas in my mind though. I think i can build a similar diverter/ particle separator out of junk that I already have. Thanks for the idea; brilliant system!

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We kept goldfish in our open rain barrel at our old house. Never had a mosquito in there. We moved out over a year ago, and when we went back there about a month ago, little Goldie was still swimming around! Not bad for a 25 cent goldfish.

Latest posts