Bleeding hearts 2017

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
placed mine last year winter so wet it seems to have drowned all brown no signs of life :hit

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
About 20 years ago (shortly after we bought our house) we planted both a pink & a white bleeding heart. Both were nearly dead & marked down. It seems, however, that we have ideal bleeding heart habitat... because they seeded, and spread everywhere. Personally, I like that element of chaos, so unless they infringe in other established plants, we let them grow. Over time, most of the clumps die, to be replaced by younger seedlings. The white is recessive, so it keeps popping up; but it is far less vigorous than the pink.

My mother has the fern-leaf bleeding heart, and gave me a clump. I loved it, but it never spread, and died after a few years. It seems to like more shade than the others.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother has the fern-leaf bleeding heart, and gave me a clump. I loved it, but it never spread, and died after a few years. It seems to like more shade than the others.

Boy the fern leaf stuff I have comes up everywhere! It doesn't seem to mind the sun, but I suppose I haven't paid a lot of attention to how all the volunteers behave. They seem to do alright on benign neglect.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All of Washington state saw one of the wettest years on record it has
been tough to keep the chin up

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bleeding heart is water lover. I planted some edge of stream, some times after heavy rain they are in water.
Agreed, that they love water. The two biggest bleeding heart clumps in my yard volunteered on either side of my culvert, and ran large roots down to the bottom of the ditch. Those clumps continue blooming longer than those in drier locations. Other clumps are located on the South side of the house, and get overflow from the rain barrel... even with virtually no direct sunlight, they too are very vigorous.

Interesting, regarding the fern leaf spreading. I had hoped that mine would spread, or that they would naturally hybridize with the others... neither of which happened. Doubly surprising, given that the others have prospered in that same location. Maybe the fern leaf just couldn't compete with the larger, more aggressive "regular" pinks.

Latest posts