Blody Butcher Corn

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Bloody Butcher corn is making excellent progress. Most plants are chest height on me or higher and I'm 5'10". I don't have an exact count on live plants, but at two ears each I should have plenty to replenish my old seed. Must remember to keep the cats in the garden when the corn is almost ripe. They are also helping support the Kentucky Wonder and Headrick Greasy Cutshort beans.

They have a talent for coming up in some odd places too. My original planting largely didn't sprout and given the bad germination rate in 2014 and the miserable germ test this spring I gave up and planted the remaining old seed and half of my new seed. In all of this I may have seed in odd places or something might have dug a few up and moved them. These singles are by far the largest ones.

I love the red prop roots, not sure why. Hoping for a few cups of red cornmeal this fall.

Oh yeah, between the original planting 10-15 years ago, the hiatus of a decade or so, and last year the corn has gone through a substantial genetic bottleneck. Hoping this is not an issue long term.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted two plantings of Anasazi corn. The first planting was severely stunted due to unusual cool and rainy weather. The second planting, pretty much the same. Instead of being 8' tall, the plants are maybe 4' tall. At this point if I get enough for next year's seed, I'll be happy.

Was going to plant the Bloody Butcher corn, but the weather is so screwy, it would probably be a failure. How many days from planting to making corn? I might try for fall.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was wrong. All this horrible, basement-flooding rain, and the corn it head height.

The Delwen blue is short still, somewhere between 6 and 12 inches.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Bloody Butcher corn is making excellent progress. Most plants are chest height on me or higher and I'm 5'10". I don't have an exact count on live plants, but at two ears each I should have plenty to replenish my old seed. Must remember to keep the cats in the garden when the corn is almost ripe. They are also helping support the Kentucky Wonder and Headrick Greasy Cutshort beans.

They have a talent for coming up in some odd places too. My original planting largely didn't sprout and given the bad germination rate in 2014 and the miserable germ test this spring I gave up and planted the remaining old seed and half of my new seed. In all of this I may have seed in odd places or something might have dug a few up and moved them. These singles are by far the largest ones.

I love the red prop roots, not sure why. Hoping for a few cups of red cornmeal this fall.

Oh yeah, between the original planting 10-15 years ago, the hiatus of a decade or so, and last year the corn has gone through a substantial genetic bottleneck. Hoping this is not an issue long term.
Was your new seed from a different source? If you're lucky it might be far enough removed that it will help return some of the genetic diversity.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My seed is from my original source. There have been no inputs since it was purchased. However, since I am not the only person growing the corn and not essential for its survival as a variety I suppose it doesn't matter much. :/

Latest posts