Blow to my Heart

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just had to share this as my heart is hurting.

Over breakfast just a minute ago, I was talking about how I wanted to start going to yard sales. That I wanted to find an old fish tank because I think it would be neat to grow a carrot and watch the whole process. His response was "Where are you gonna put all of this? I hope you don't get caught up anymore into this gardening thing, I don't want this stuff all over the house." I could not say anything about this as I am loving the gardening thing and don't want to stop. My family and friends don't understand that about me so I had to vent to ya'll since I know we share that same interest.

Angie

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe he'll change his mind about "this gardening thing" when you start bringing fresh veggies, herbs and fruit into the kitchen. Can't beat the flavor or the satisfaction of knowing you grew them yourself. In the meantime...:hugs Hang in there and keep on growing! :)

wyoweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So sorry that they feel that way.:hugs
Theres alot of less wholesome things you could get caught up in. I wouldn't think providing food would be an aggravation to anyone.
The carrot thing is a great idea. I think I'll do that one for my grand kids!

laurenlulu

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I agree, I bet he'll change his mind. Last year was my first year with a real garden, and my hubby moaned and complained the whole season about the start up costs and the "stuff" lying around. This year he is excited about it and alot more supportive.

He did the same thing with chickens- now that I finally have them and they aren't getting in his way, he told me he is glad that I have them and that he can see they make me happy.

My husband is actually proud of my garden now, and tells everyone about it and my chickens. Hopefully your friends and family will come around, once they see you're serious. Imagine if your hobby was collecting golf balls or precious moments or something.... they'd be around the house all year and wouldn't even feed anybody ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sharing interests, sharing space - it's never going to be perfect.

DW likes to garden and that helps enormously but she has this idea that a carrot is a carrot is a carrot. A garden is a garden.

I want a garden the best way I can do it.

A carrot variety is something special, I'm sure of it. Melon varieties are special, etc. We have big gardens and she wants things planted and finished - do it and done. I'm puttering around out there until the cows come home. (Or, puttering around here ;).)

I get lost . . . seed orders fall short of the selection I was shooting for. Varieties get mixed up out there in the garden. I've decided that a tomato variety is absolutely indispensable for my health and happiness and got mixed up in seed orders and planting, missing it entirely for the season :/. I've planted 3 varieties of French fillet beans 2 years running and got 'em mixed up each time without a clue as to which is which :rolleyes:.

It reminds me of working for a boss: get 'er dun! Heck, I can grow a TON of stuff. Spent my whole life doing that . . . may as well plant hay.

. . . it's never going to be perfect but there are your interests and his interests. Don't lose interest :cool:.

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, just do what makes you happy, gardening in this case. Maybe he'll change his mind once he tastes a fresh tomato or strawberry fresh from the garden, then he wont want to taste one from the supermarket again. Don't let anyone come between you and your dreams!!

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does he have any hobbies/interests that you can do with him? That might help. My DH is a drummer and likes to sail model sailboats, so I go to his gigs and sometimes I pack a picnic and the dog and I go watch him sail for a little while. He was really supportive of my chicken and gardenning endevours, and said the other day that he thought it was cool that we were doing these things together.
I dunno, just a thought. Maybe you hubby is jealous of the time your garden gets to spend with you.:)

If this isn't the case, the heck with him. Enjoy yourself!!!!;) :smack

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You're nicer than I am. I would have said, "I'm going to Ebay your Xbox and all the games that go with it, that'll make plenty of room." DH has his space, I have mine.

He will get over it to some extent when you catch him eating your garden produce. Or at least, hopefully he'll have enough shame to shut up about it. Mine hates it when I ask him for help in the garden, but he loves what he calls "yard strawberries" and pasta sauce from homegrown tomatoes. He also claims to hate my chickens, but somehow the angelfood cakes, pasta and quiche from their eggs disappear without my assistance. ;)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow Angie,

Reading your post brought out a demon in me from my past; a memory of being ridiculed for adoring something. Not a good thing at all. It is amazing how words can linger throughout your life, so here are my words in regards to these demons.

First, I missed whether this is a Father figure (he), or a husband. A father might be a bit of a struggle because after all they are the provider and 'owner' of said world, but if this is a husband we are talking about.....oh my, doesn't he know that there are plenty of them to choose from and if you end up with one that does not adore you for adoring something like gardening, then you just get rid of him and go get yourself another one. Simple as pie.

I am so amazed how men can put themselves onto the 'leader' role without first realizing that without women they would be just a bunch of badly dressed bums.

I say go treat yourself to a nice big bunch of starter peat pots and plant every seed you can get a hold of; any further discussions will be met with your ability to simply say Goodbye! The tune they sing changes really fast after that. :)

Sending you the best wishes ever, besides, this 'he' needs to realize that any gardening today is going to offset any 'depression/recession' worries and costs.

Take care, Ron

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh sweety ((((((((Hugs))))))))

My husband was the biggest most aggrivated pain this past winter. He was sick of all the seedlings in the house. Always pointing out how annoying the jungle of a bathroom was. I had seed catalogs everywhere! He was getting annoyed with my talking about it constantly...

More so he was sick of me on the computer chatting here, printing up lists of planting dates and drawing up designs for more and more raised beds.

We got the in, and got them done... because it made ME happy. He'd roll his eyes anyways.

Then came March, things were really growing and I his interested peaked when I bought him a grape vine and then apple trees. Now he walks the yard... waters everything... and even gives me a smile and tells me thank you.

His attitude changed and his done a 180 on the gardening thing. He just needed to see it all come to life.

I know he'll turn around some... maybe just let him know its your hobby, and you love it, and you love him... that just hurt your feelings. Maybe he'll apologize and even get involved.