Blueberry bushes, do I need 2 ?

animal nut

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was in Walmart this weekend and purchased one blueberry bush. I think somewhere I read that you need 2 to pollunate. Am I correct? Do the require full sun or part shade?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, always better to plant 2. Even when things are supposedly self-fertile, you always get better results with two. They can tolerate part shade, mine are at the edge of a tree line and next to a fence that shades them on two sides--they're fine, lots of berries. I used to pick huckleberries (a kind of blueberry) off bushes growing in deep shade.

animal nut

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. After I got home I remembered I need at least two. I will have to go back andn get another one. Would they make a good screening? I have a large area that I would like to create some privacy. How tall will they grow?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always do at least 2 of everything also.

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Looks like I have to go buy another blueberry bush today... :lol:

That's okay, I had to go back to the nursery for a couple of other things anyway, I just hope they still have one left.

ARe there any plants that you shouldn't plant blueberries near?

Sorry to hijack your thread Animal Nut. :D :hide

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Re: screening, not really. They don't fill out thick enough for that.

Height: Depends on what type. There are two types of blueberries, highbush and lowbush. Lowbush only gets about 3' high, highbush about 7'. Also depends on how hungry your local deer are. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Neighbor plants: I don't know whether they are susceptible to juglone (walnut) poisoning or not, I really have no idea. They are supposed to have fairly acidic soil though, so you probably don't want them too close to a neutral pH veggie garden, type of thing.

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Neighbor plants: I don't know whether they are susceptible to juglone (walnut) poisoning or not, I really have no idea. They are supposed to have fairly acidic soil though, so you probably don't want them too close to a neutral pH veggie garden, type of thing.
That's what I figured, I'll just have to fence them off so the chickens won't have a blueberry buffet. Thanks!!!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i have one blueberry bush, i definely will get a few more, for a nice harvest next year.

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have read in several places that you need to plant two different varieties. Don't ask me why.

Inchworm