Blueberry preserves recipe anyone?

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a large amount of blueberries and I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for jam or preserves. I plan on freezing some for use in the winter, but I would like to get some jam out of them since my DH and I love it on pancakes and toast.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sure jell has a good recipe. Go to kraft.com or google surejell and you will find the site.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've never made jam with blueberries, but I canned them once in a syrup. I then thickened the syrup with cornstarch after draining it off the blueberries, returned the blueberries and had a wonderful, warm blueberry conserve to roll inside some thin pancakes. YUMMMY. I've got a really old canning and preserving cookbook from the 1950s. I'll go look and see what I can find for you. I also have a USDA booklet on how to make jellies, jams and preserves at home from 1957.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My USDA booklet only lists a "spiced blueberry and peach jam." My other book only has a recipe for what they call, "spiced blueberry preserves" so let me know if you want either of these.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I looked at kraft foods and found some nice recipes. Thank you for the advice, coopy.

blurose, if you had that recipe for the spiced blueberry preserves I'd like to try it. I love to add spices to my blueberry pies, it must make a delicious preserve!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm gonna type this exactly as in the book and hope I don't run out of room.

SPICED BLUEBERRY PRESERVE

This is a mildly spiced jam, great for breakfast, and marvelous, too, served with wild or domestic fowl or with game. Do not make it with wild huckleberries if it has been a dry summer as the little berries will become like hard pellets that no amount of cooking or aging will soften. Wild berries, if juicy, make a particularly delicious preserve. But you can never go wrong as to texture with cultivated ones.
You will need:
1 quart washed, stemmed and picked-over blueberries
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Combine ingredients and simmer until the skins are tender and the preserve has reached the desired thickness. Test for thickness by putting a small bit of the boiling jam onto a refrigerated plate and popping it right back into the refrigerator to cool fast. If it's still running all over the plate, simmer the jam awhile longer, then test again. When its thick enough, take it off the stove at once. Pour it into jars and seal them with 2 thin layers of paraffin and a lid. This should give you 4-5 eight-ounce glasses.

Hope you like it. :D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are two from The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving (Topp and Howard) - I have not tried these recipes myself but find the book generally reliable.

"BLUEBARB" JAM

3 1/2 c chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
1/2 c water
2 1/4 c coarshely chopped fresh or frozen blueberries
1 Tb lemon j
1 box dry fruit pectin
5 1/2 c granulated sugar

place rhubarb and water in v lg stainless or enamel saucepan. bring to boil over hi, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes stirring often.

Add blueberries, lem J and pectin; mix well. Bring to boil over hi, stirring constantly. Add sugar, return to full boil and boil hard 1 min, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Ladle into hot jars and process 10 minutes in water bath.

makes 6 cups

SPICED BLUEBERRY HONEY JAM

2 1/2 c fresh or frozen coarsely chopped blueberries
2 1/2 c granulated sugar
1 c liquid honey
1 Tb lemon J
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 pouch liquid fruit pectin

place blueberries, sugar, honey, lem j and nutmeg in a large stainless or enamel saucepan. Bring to full boil over hi and boil hard for 2 min, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in pectin. Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes in water bath.

makes 4 cups

If someone tries 'em, let me know how they come out :)

Pat

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Blurose, I had to tell you that i tried your spiced blueberry recipe and it is DELICIOUS!!!! It was great on waffles this morning. Thank you very much for sharing that recipe!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay, I made the recipe bluerose posted for the
Spiced Blueberry Preserve and I made
Pats recipe for the
Spiced Bluberry Honey Jam.
They both came out wonderful. You should try them.
I like that they are both a little different. One is more spicy but the other has the mix of sweet and spicy with the honey and nutmeg. They are both very easy to make and helped me to use some of the 10lbs of blueberries we picked yesterday.

Latest posts