Borage

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I never had difficulty with Borage before, and I can not figure what could possibly have changed, but Germination is less than 50% and it's leaves are pale, almost white. It is getting the same fertilizer as everything else- same water conditions...
It used to get huge, self seed and flower prolifically ( lots of bees), The past five years it seems so wimpy.
Am I not talking to it enough?
I buy new seed each year and get only a few plants out of a package to make it to flowering. and those just are not strong.

I need the bees.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Odd... I planted mine once and it has self-seeded ever since. The bees really do love that flower! Good luck.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My guess would be that something is off in your soil...too much of something or pH is off (preventing uptake of nutrients.) Are you planting them in the same spot each year? If so, I'd get a soil test and see what turns up.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am potting them up into the 2p bagged soil that all of my other starts are in. I moved them outside yesterday.
I am behind in getting the rabbit fence up. so everything lives in the greenhouse in 4'' and 6'' pots. waiting for size to protect them.

We have a professional greenhouse business, and they get the same food as everyone else...Which means...? maybe there is a micro nutrient that they don't like?
Maybe they don't like being treated nicely?
BR (before rabbits) I direct sowed everything. Now I have to start all seedlings on a bench in the houses.
Where do yours grow best? could they be more of a spoils plant? Maybe I should sterilize some ground soil next time (In order to put them on the benches they have to be in clean soil- rules.)

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Where I had them growing it stays very wet well into late Spring some years and I think the seed rotted before it could germinate. They did okay for a couple of years and then nothing. I read the seed will rot if it's too wet. (I wish comfrey seed was like that :\ )

Borage is suppose to be rabbit proof ... your rabbits eat them?
I have found most herbs don't like fertilizer, could you just start them a bit later and not fertilize? I'm not sure why they would turn white though..?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think that borage is more of a plant for poorer soils, but could be wrong on that. It will do great when planted in unmended soil but not fare so well when planted in composted or fertilized soil. I usually just direct sow them in some bare area outdoors so it's hard to say how they might act when pampered?

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew them in south Florida muck, and North Florida sand, and they did wonderfully... maybe it is something in the treated water.
We are very high calcium, and the water has to be treated so as to not clog up all of our spitters and nozzles.
I will investigate that avenue.
thanks for the ideas everyone. I love the plant and miss it in the gardens.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would agree that they do well on poorer soils. I've always direct sown mine into the big garden, heavy clay, not very rich soil.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Boy, we need to get some Borage, DH has 2 hive boxes and possibly another coming. Always looking for plants to make it good be food!

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Borage here in the UK grows in the hedgrows and on roadsides prolificly. It must be a soil thing? They ain't fussy round these parts :(

Good luck indeed

Latest posts