Borrowing Stuff You Don't Use Often

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we first put in our big garden- we rented a tiller from our local farm store. It really worked out well. I think that is a very smart thing to do- no storage issues, etc for a tool you are going to use a couple times a year...

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm looking more and more to the local tool rental places; the pro-sized equipment is so much better than what I could afford to buy, if at all. And I don't have to worry about maintenance, parts, etc. Sometimes I just walk in to browse what there is for future projects. Oh, a walk=behind trencher? Massive chipper? Stump grinder? Even the big edgers I'd consider renting. When I get around to it, of course.

The recent expansion of the garden was a trade fresh eggs, herbs for neighbor farmer's 15 minutes with his PTO tractor tiller.

Chickie2378

Leafing Out
Reaction score
now that is smart SB

trade eggs etc. for tiller time. to me when you can do anything without involving money, it is a good thing :)

barter is almost lost. I say barter away.

daver

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Chickie2378 said:
now that is smart SB

trade eggs etc. for tiller time. to me when you can do anything without involving money, it is a good thing :)

X2

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie2378 said:
now that is smart SB

yep! next year i am trading my time tilling a friend's garden for a bunch of rocks to use around my pond and edging my landscaped areas. he got a huge load of 'dirt' that was supposed to have been screened but had a massive amount of large rocks in it.

Chickie2378

Leafing Out
Reaction score
way to go!!

that is a good trade. ya know 'decorative' rocks are expensive...especially for what they are....rocks. :)

it is unbelievable what you can get in return for your skills etc.

Is this a decorative pond in your yard? With fish etc.?

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Chickie2378 said:
ya know 'decorative' rocks are expensive...especially for what they are....rocks. :)
If you were a rock farmer you'd know why. Do you know how long it takes to bring in a crop of rocks? Just planting all those little pebbles is a pain. And marble is even worse, you have to plow it with Zebras.

:lol: It's a joke, okay?

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
Chickie2378 said:
ya know 'decorative' rocks are expensive...especially for what they are....rocks. :)
If you were a rock farmer you'd know why. Do you know how long it takes to bring in a crop of rocks? Just planting all those little pebbles is a pain. And marble is even worse, you have to plow it with Zebras.

:lol: It's a joke, okay?
:yuckyuck

I inquired about purchasing some large rocks locally (For a raised bed garden) and found they were selling for $80.00 a ton, you haul. Trust me it doesn't take many large rocks to add up to a ton. Fortunately there are quite a few cornfields nearby where they grow naturally. :D The local farmers were tickled that I offered to use my ATV to harvest them while the fields were fallow. Old growth rocks are extremely hard on plowing equipment. :gig

Latest posts