Botany of Desire on PBS

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Did anyone see this show? It was really interesting, and I recommend watching it if you get a chance. Anyway, I took issue with what I thought was a contradiction between what they were saying and showing. Michael Pollan talked about how the best way to combat pests and diseases organically was polyculture. Then they talked to an organic potato farmer who, according to them, was not using monoculture because he grew a variety of types of potatoes. Does that sound correct to you? In my mind, it doesn't matter if you grow only russets, or if you grow 10 varieties, they are all going to be victims of the same pests and diseases. So I'm not sure you could consider what that farmer was doing, polyculture. Maybe I'm nit-picking here, but what do you guys think?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watched it too. Have also read the book. I was thinking along the same lines- a potato is a potato... but I guess that is really not true. Think of all the tomatoes we plant- yes, they are tomatoes, but different in many ways. If you are only planting one kind of seed, versus many kinds of seeds (even in the same family) you are ahead of the game. I think monoculture will be our downfall, and yet- it might bring back the small farmer. Very interesting stuff.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some varieties may be more resistant to diseases than others but I doubt a Colorado potato beetle cares which kind of potato it's eating.

stone

Leafing Out
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Michael Pollan talked about how the best way to combat pests and diseases organically was polyculture. Then they talked to an organic potato farmer who, according to them, was not using monoculture because he grew a variety of types of potatoes.

Does that sound correct to you?

In my mind, it doesn't matter if you grow only russets, or if you grow 10 varieties, they are all going to be victims of the same pests and diseases.

So I'm not sure you could consider what that farmer was doing, polyculture. Maybe I'm nit-picking here, but what do you guys think?
You might be interested in researching "landrace" crops.

Apparently by bringing back some lost genes to the plant, some disease resistance is gained.

Many of those breeds were created by crossing siblings. When animal breeders do that, some of the animals have susceptibility to various problems... made worse and worse as the same genes get reinforced.

Latest posts