Bottle Gourd Harvest

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cut off the top, scoop out the seeds and fill them with mescal. ARIBA_RIBA_RIBA

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, that's a really good idea, putting them on a fenceline. They get so heavy, they sure could use the support! I think that's where I'll put mine next year too. I had some small decorative gourds that volunteered from last fall's display and they went right up the fence. It was a perfect place for them and it looked nice too!

ETA: Anybody who paints theirs to hang outside for actual birds--what kind of paint do you use? I painted some with acrylics and sprayed like 10 coats of clear sealer on them and they still flaked. This really surprised me after painting a rock and sealing the same way and the rock looks just like new 3 years later. :hu
I guess the gourds walls must draw moisture and it is peeling the paint from beneath.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, after mine were dry, I painted with exterior house paint. It has held up really well. Haven't had any chipping, etc.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are these the same as bird house gourds. We bought a package of seeds 5 years ago the package said bird house gourds on it. 2 years later we went to buy more and the person working in the gardening dept said there are no gourds called that. I am going to remember the name this time. Our girls loved painting them for bird houses. but ours went the same way as Steves.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector, I always called mine bird house gourds, and that is what it said on my original package. If you would like some seeds, let me know. Once I drill mine, I'll have an abundance.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, wow that would be great. our girls had so much fun painting them. they are teens now so it might not be as cool though unless their friends are not around lol. I posted about the topsy turvy around a month ago cause they didnt work well for us, somebody mentioned growing other things like cukes in them or vining plants. So I was thinking of putting a trellis under them and growing the bottle gourds in them. It might also save some space. I dont think it was my idea but I think it would work.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
PM me your address and I'll send you off some. Not sure if your idea will work- but it couldn't hurt to try! Little kids are so much more fun!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh those are so neat!!! I may have to try them, especially since they have my favorite flower picture of yours when in bloom.

Can I use the pic of the gourd as a photo for the Picture Of The Week?

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh those are so neat!!! I may have to try them, especially since they have my favorite flower picture of yours when in bloom.
I agree they are neat and as for growing them if you have space go for it!
Can I use the pic of the gourd as a photo for the Picture Of The Week?
Yes :D

Also my sister finished painting the 2 gourds, so I'll post pictures later today.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is my sisters art work:
6981_decorated_bottle_gourds_010.jpg

6981_decorated_bottle_gourds_007.jpg

Latest posts