Bought a Blender

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday when I went to town I stopped at WalMart and bought a 350 watt Hamilton's Beach Blender.

Since the dentist will be removing between 1 and 3 teeth tomorrow, and that'll leave me with, oh, a couple premolars and a couple molars total, losing track, but basically not much for chomping with, looks like I'll need the blender.

Gotta see the humor of it, so I need some wise cracks and joking at! My neighbor Terre told me I should have a gal do my chewing for me! HA! For some reason all I could think to reply to that was, depends on how she looks...So yea, I have the humor for it.

Getting crunch time for looking into a set of choppers. What on earth do they have to cost so much for? For 5,000 dollars they better look like Marie Osmond's teeth! For the youngsters here, she was a singer who had a tv show during the lower neolithic, and her teeth were so bright the cameramen had to adjust the exposure when she smiled big.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hummm.. I don't remember any Marie... but there was a Donnie Osmond who had a TV show <swoon> I had SUCH a crush on him. On the show he would sing and dance and do skits with some girl.... ;)

Sorry about the dental issues. I can't seem to come up with much humor about it other than to let you know that I've killed 4 blenders trying to chop up hay for my horse. She only has about 7 teeth left ... but at 34 yrs old, I suppose it's good that she has ANY.

When I was little my Mom had some major dental work done. She was in bed feeling miserable so at dinner time, being the good little 8yr old I was, I dropped a hamburger, bun, lettuce, tomato, onion, some ketchup and mustard into the blender. Then after a quick rinse, some fries and more ketchup got blended. I was so proud to present her with 2 glasses of reddish-grey sludge for her dinner...
She wasn't impressed. :sick

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, you are going to like having a blender and having what it makes - things like creamed soup :)!

I've never had much trouble with my teeth - only the wisdom teeth and you know how you forget everything once they are gone? What was I talking about?

When I was a kid, somebody must have said something about being such a poor family but having so much milk . . . and cream . . . and butter. We had milk cows but sure didn't have much money :rolleyes:. I read it elsewhere - "a diet rich in dairy!" Well, for about 20 years I have behaved like I am lactose intolerant and I may be, it is a matter of degree. Still, having some cream or half 'n' half to pour in something makes me feel like I'm enjoying the "rich diet!" If I have to, I'll use soy milk . . . ;)

Stocks and broths are the basis for my cooking. Put a little something else in there, splash in some cream and you've got especially good food! Your blender can play a role in this. Just about any veggie can be run thru the blender, a little broth added to make the machine work right, into the pot of broth it goes! Maybe you have to add a little cornstarch mixed with some cold broth to get the texture, tweak the seasoning, splash in the cream -- there you go.

Now, making that broth you have cooked some veggies to death. The fresh veggies show up near the last and that blender will do what is necessary. Enjoy your blender!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Sorry about the dental issues. I can't seem to come up with much humor about it other than to let you know that I've killed 4 blenders trying to chop up hay for my horse. She only has about 7 teeth left ... but at 34 yrs old, I suppose it's good that she has ANY.
You might try to find some Purina One and Only. It is a complete feed with hay and everything in little nuggets. You could soak them in water for her.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, are there any dental colleges near you? I think they do the work for a fraction of what some dentists charge. Also, there are dental clinics that advertise a full set of dentures for $300. It sounds like a scam, but my dad went to one of those places, and they did a really good job.(On a weird sidenote--my dad died two years ago, but I still have his dentures in my basement.
291.gif
He had a different pair he was buried in.) And with those $300 places, you get your dentures the next day. That would be worth traveling for. Check it out.

And Steve, have you tried drinking raw milk in the last 20 years? Lots of people who have lactose intolerance to homogenized milk find they can drink raw milk with no problems. Me, for example.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky - send those teeth to Marshall - maybe they'll fit.
4chsmu1.gif

Bay, I've tried EVERYTHING out there from $25/bag complete feeds made JUST for senior horses to homemade concoctions. All she will eat is oats. I can sneak a little bit of complete pelleted feed in but she mostly eats around it. She likes to chew hay but with no teeth she just sucks on it a while and spits out the big, soggy lump (my paddock is covered in what looks like giant chewing tobacco wads). She won't touch hay cubes - but if I grind them to powder I can sometimes sneak a little bit in with her feed. She's got something like horsey dementia and only eats a tiny bit at a time, then wanders off, then remembers that she was hungry and wanders back, then stands there wondering why she came all the way over to the fence.... So anyway, I can't soak her feed; it'll either freeze or start to get all rotten smelling before she finishes it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
During one of those times when I probably should have been getting off the anti-inflammatories, I decided to give up milk. Now, I'm a little afraid to get back on it. Was it the problem? Part of the problem?

tweetyshrug_b.gif

About all it means is that I do not drink a glass nor pour dairy on my breakfast cereal. Instead, I usually use soymilk. That's fine. In fact, soy or almond milk have been okay as a substitute for milk in cooking. When I want to make something for company, I pick up half 'n' half or cream.

Steve

oh, and after growing up on raw milk, milk from the store always tasted "burnt" anyway . . .

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm with you Marshall. All I have is a few molars but I manage. My Brother in law didn't have a tooth in his head but he ate darn near anything. His gums got so tough he could chew with them. My sister called him the snapping turtle.
I have an original Osterizer blender from 1946, one of the first they made, and it still works fine after all these years.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, sorry about the dental mess. :( Dental work is so spendy, about all we do any more is emergency visits.

That blender will be real handy to have. You can make smoothies all summer! A friend of mine makes vegetable and fruit smoothies that are so tasty, the neighbors pay her to make extra for them. She says she has noticed a definite increase in energy and wellness since she started drinking them. She hates eating most vegetables and was told by a Dr. that if she didn't improve her diet radically she would damage her health irreparably. So it scared her into a complete diet change for the better. Her smoothies are mostly veg, with some fruit for sweetness and protein powder for the extra, well, protein!

Of course if you can find a good lookin' woman to do your chewing you can just reserve the blender for Steves soups. :cool:

Cane, you need a shredder for that hay. Mine makes a nice fluffy almost powder from alfalfa or straw.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshal, sound like it's time to bite the bullet and get yourself some choppers. Or carve a pair like THEY say George Washington had.

I really suspect that they are more for esthetics than necessary for eating. I've known a few elders who seem to do quite fine without most of their teeth.

DS fell off a roof and was spitting teeth out for two days afterward. His jaw was wired shut because he broke his chin/jaw in 4 places. He still managed a Big Mac as soon as he got out of the hospital.

That blender is useful for lots of things, but I don't expect you'll be stuck with pablum anyway.