Bought a Sand Cherry!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm a plant buying addict!

I hate how all the cute, pretty and nice smelling plants are worthless annuals!! Hate the idea of yearly wasting money on buying the same stuff that just dies, I don't get why they are so popular.

Anyway, wandered the nursery, with my freshly re-broken toe. Needed, or wanted, some color. Found a tree with purple leaves, purple small flowers, purple bark and purple berries! Took it home!

Now, I have a question. I see a lot of trees that name a fruit, but call it X fruit tree, but does it fruit, is it edible? So, does this 'sand cherry' grow cherries, are they edible??

Also noticed that Lowes bulbs are now 50% off!! They were only 25% off last week. I bought a crap load of them!!! Some for just $5, others for just a dollar! Five to 50 bulbs in the packs! :D
My fiance is going to HATE the front yard soon...lol. He hates flowers because they attract bees, lol.

Yea, so we planted that tree, Sycamore is still in the way for the other 2 trees to be planted.

Pics tomorrow, raining now.

Oh! Also bought a bunch more pond plants!!! Did that the day before as well!! Been making lots of puff pompoms and white/red bows for the wedding. :D

OH, anyone have a Sand Cherry? Thoughts on them?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you getting married? Noticed how that was slipped in at the end there. :) Congratulations!

That Sand Cherry sounds like a variety called "Cistene". Also called purple leaf sandcherry. I think it is a cross, a hybrid of a regular sand cherry and a plum of some kind. Not sure how well it produces, but if it does they should be some kind of edible.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, on the 15th. Thought I mentioned it in my other post where I ended up rambling again.:p

Purple leaf sandcherry sounds about right. They had no care tags, just the yellow price tag. It also had a purple tag down right in the soil, under a root. It was thick plastic, nothing written on it and looked like no one bothered to remove it after the tree kept growing or they repotted it....Took it off before sticking it in the ground.

It has one purple pill shaped berry and then tiny purple tinted flowers up on the ends of branches. Haven't checked on it this morning, but I'm sure it's doing better than the willow tree that the snow bent over. Have that thing on a cable to try and train some of it's branches to grow where I want making it more even.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
$25 and 178 bulbs!
945513_572502696116576_1822794094_n.jpg

934779_572503249449854_1377476362_n.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering a while back why you felt the need to get everything done by the 15th. I started to ask then, but figured I was the only person who didn't know! Silly me!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was the biggest with most leaves that they had. Those left over tree bits are 4ft diameter, BTW, biggest rock is 1.5ft or so.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, ended up dumping...er, I mean, planting, a ton more random seeds. Most from old packs, all out where the pigs were next to the chickens. Baby Silkie hen was helping collect worms and other wigglers as I dug the holes. Hopefully it will all grow and everything will be fine! So, some pumpkin seeds, small water melons, two kinds of tomato, mix of lettuces and other green/purple/??? color leafy greens, spinach, both carrot packs that failed last year, four 12ft rows of corn and I think that might be it....Oh!! Cucumbers! Duh!

Lol, I have stuff growing literally all over the darned place...No organization this year what so ever....Hopefully the pig, rabbit and chicken poop mixed ground will make everything grow like crazy!

So yea, little off course from what I should be doing...but seeing that patch with little weeds/grass growing was demanding I attempt to plant something!

Latest posts