Bountiful Gardens Closing 15% Off Seed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Willits News

Bountiful Gardens Closing

"The announcement is consistent with trends in the seed industry. The past few years have seen the advent of local micro-companies and seed libraries, while a few large companies increasingly dominate the internet and catalog sales. Mid-size seed companies across the country find themselves hard-pressed."

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
OH THANK YOU!!!! I have been struggling to find a Christmas gift for a good friend. She is one of those people who don't want much, appreciates home made over store bought, and is better at just about anything I could make for her. She started creating her own apothecary this summer and herb seeds will be a MUCH APPRECIATED gift. THANKS for the great idea!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i want them all! :)

ok, only some of them will grow here... i wonder what they will do with what they can't sell...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Founder of Bountiful Gardens, John Jeavons, did a whole lot to inform my thinking about how to garden.

I may have read his "How to grow more vegetables ..." in 1974, the first year of the first edition. How might I have been so current in my reading, back then!? Perhaps, it was because I had a subscription to J. I. Rodale's Organic Gardening magazine that I'd probably first picked up at the health food store.

Double digging never quite made sense to me. Not just because I had back problems ;) but because by then, I didn't have topsoil that was more than a spade's depth to work with!

It's good to know that Jeavons continued all these years, at least. Perhaps, he was more of someone was a teacher or who liked to stir the pot and who was not really a business person.

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Even I ordered from them, this is where I found seed for podding radishes I had rat tail but was told that Madras was much nicer and it is. I've always had trouble growing radishes and you get that same zippy flavor from the pods, they produce all summer here and don't have the usually problems with the root types. sad to see they are closing.

Annette

Latest posts