Braided Hibiscus Tree

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I bought OldGal one for Valentines day. It's about 4' tall and has buds but no blooms yet. I can't find much on how to replant, and it doesn't have any instructions. We want to put it in the yard. Any information and suggestions would be appreciated.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My experience with hibisci is that they're rather hard to kill. I had a rootbound one in a pot for ages on my porch, then moved and left it, saw it all dead-looking on the curb for the garbage man some months later and grabbed it, repotted it, watered it, and it popped right back into shape for another 5 or so years. The 90+ days with no water whatsoever after Katrina finally killed it for good.

If it's braided, you might want to keep it potted so you can control it. I fear if you put it in the ground it's going to go crazy. It'll make a huge shrubby bush if you let it, and that cute braided trunk will just disappear under the mass of leaves and flowers. Surely you've seen Hibiscus Gone Wild around Austin?

If it gets some sun and some water, it'll be happy. The only problem I ever had with mine were aphids.

Exotic hibiscus care instructions:
http://www.exotic-hibiscus.com/care/index.htm

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love my hibiscus! I give mine a preseason treatment of 'exotic palm organic fertilizer'. I think it helps for MORE blooms throughout the season. Deadheading gives me the ability to get a second blooming of them the shrubs in late summer. I also cut them down to the ground in late winter. Just did mine last week.

That's my experience.... but I've never had a braided one?

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The full extent of care I lavished on my hibiscus (tree form, single trunk, approx 5'-6' tall, potted, zone 8b-9a):

water; every couple days
sun; 4 hrs per day (on covered balcony)
hose aphids off leaves; every other day when needed (stopped when ladybug nymphs showed up, after frantically googling to discover what sort of horrible new bug THIS was)
whack off crazy branches; when it got unsightly

I never fed it, that I recall... tho it may have received some fish emulsion or seaweed when all the container veg got fed. I never pruned it according to any proper seasonal schedule. I think my cats used it as a scratching post (and occasionally litterbox). That sucker bloomed constantly as long as it was above 75* and the aphids were relatively under control.

I did plant nasturtiums in the pot with it one year... another year was marigolds and yarrow, or cat grass (oats, wheatgrass), catnip...

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's blooming. :tools

Not bragging. Just wanted to let you know I was still around. :throw

Hybiscus002.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not hardy for us Catjac- but Oldguy is in Texas! Looks beautiful. I usually get one every year- just to enjoy over the summer. Never had any luck bringing them inside for the winter. Enjoy those beautiful blooms!

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
Not hardy for us Catjac- but Oldguy is in Texas! Looks beautiful. I usually get one every year- just to enjoy over the summer. Never had any luck bringing them inside for the winter. Enjoy those beautiful blooms!
Thank you Lesa. :)

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very nice! I had lots of them in Florida, tried occasionally in Arizona but they would not survive the heat, and here, I planted an adorable little frilly peach colored one... and the chickens ATE it. Apparently they taste good. I will have to try again with a fortress of deer netting around it. (Because I suspect, if the chickens didn't get it, the deer would!)

-Wendy

Latest posts