Brandywine tomatoes....how to freeze?

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have loads of these ripening now, and I need to do something with them all! I have parboiled and froze some, but they don't slip their skins well. I do not can, so how can I preserve them? Can I freeze them whole? Cut & freeze? HELP! :tools

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This link talks about freezing tomatoes. It may help.

http://www.pickyourown.org/freezingtomatoes.htm

I usually can mine, but to get enough to make a canning worth while, I wash, dry, and freeze whole tomatoes in ziploc storage bags. It's short term storage so I am not fanatical about removing all the air and using heavy duty freezer bags. When I take them out to use, I thaw them in standing water, handling them very gently. The skins split and comes off very easily, so I take the skin off over a bowl to catch the juice. The tomatoes are very soft and mushy and lose all shape and texture. I find it hard to core them or cut out bad pieces because they are so mushy. That's why I only freeze the perfect tomatoes this way, ones that I do not need to trim to use. So far, I've been able to use the imperfect ones on a daily basis. I make sauces and run them through a food mill to remove the seeds any way, so leaving the core in doesn't bother me, although I am usually able to remove most of it. The food mill would take out the skin too if you can't get that off.

I also freeze a few whole tomatoes to use in cooked dishes. They do add flavor but don't expect any texture. My Brandywine this year, a Brandyboy hybrid, was real bad to crack. I did not get any from it that I considered perfect enough to freeze whole so I don't know how the Brandywine does as far as the skin coming off. All those ridges and especially valleys could cause a problem.

I also dehydrate tomatoes like BDR suggested. That will take care of some but not loads. I do like dehydrated tomatoes in soups, sauces, dried beans, on pizza or as a quick snack. It really concentrates the flavor.

Good luck!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I also freeze a few whole tomatoes to use in cooked dishes. They do add flavor but don't expect any texture. My Brandywine this year, a Brandyboy hybrid, was real bad to crack. I did not get any from it that I considered perfect enough to freeze whole so I don't know how the Brandywine does as far as the skin coming off. All those ridges and especially valleys could cause a problem
My problem with the Brandywines is they turn almost totally to mush in just the few seconds it takes to make the skin come off. They seem to peel easy, just fall apart in the process.....

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree! Maybe I'll try to slice them, then freeze. Thanks for the link.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
what about cutting in half sprinkle with salt and a tiny bit of sugar for and roasting them down a ways in olive oil you can pick the peels off then or not

then freezing
this way you can press through a sieve later for sauce or use them in stews or soups ..pilaf

I hope I can complain of soooo many tomatoes ripening soon :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could roast them and then run them thru a food mill to remove skins/seeds, for sauce. But frankly IMO they are not great sauce tomatoes.

Frankly your best bet with Brandywines is to talk to a neighbor or other acquaintance and trade a bunch of them (for fresh eatin') for something that freezes better :p

Another possibility, as the end of your season nears, would be to deliberately pick some green and put into storage for later, so that you stretch the harvest out somewhat. They won't be as good, kitchen-ripened from green, as they are off the vine, but they will still be pretty tasty and you will have less of a glut all at once.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts